Pog support for D1x
I'm not sure if something similar wasn't suggested already, if so please ignore me.
I thought that it would be nice to have a way of making a mission for D1 with custom textures without patching textures for entire game (all missions at once).
D2 has it done well with .pog files.
I'm not sure if the game takes custom .pig and .256 from the .hog already, but even if it does then making custom set of those would require 1500+ textures remade accordingly to new palette file... which is s...load of work since I'm guessing the game wouldn't tolerate missing .pig resources in custom file... well, too many assumptions on my side at this point.
So here is the suggestion - mission based custom texture replacements for D1 put inside the hog.
Descent Rangers
Name: IceWolf
Assignment: Black Squad

Current season stats
so far as I'm aware, D1X-Rebirth, at least the 0.60 betas, do accept POG files just fine. You have to change the extension to .PG1 though. They also accept HXM files with the extension .HX1, though the available fields are limited to what was present in Descent 1 (so you can't give them a secondary weapon for example, that's read but ignored). It also accepts DTX patch files without having to use the old 16 bit patcher, and I'm thinking I'll probably make a tool to create those at some point.

EDIT: It looks like D1X-Rebirth can also load custom PIG files, but unlike D2X-Rebirth and .HAM files, this seems inadvisable since you'd have to distribute all the copyrighted images/sounds with your mod, which would bloat it and also be pretty questionable legally. I wonder if its possible to create a 1.4+ PIG file with 0 bitmaps and sounds (at this point making it basically into a .HAM file) and distribute that instead. Hopefully in this case it'll still use the original game bitmaps. I should toy around with this. If it works out, I might add fake 1.4 PIG compilation to Descent2Tool, it already has code (but no interface so its inaccessible in current builds) to decompile them, but no recompilation code.  edit2: looking into it closer this is just to load custom images and sounds it seems the actual game table elements aren't touched
I've been using .dtx files to make custom textures in D1 for awhile now if that's any consolation. No wasted features here Tongue
Oh G
Actually I didn't check this thread for a while, considering this board dead.
InsanityBringer - this is awesome , where did you get this revelation from?
If it works with 0.60 this is cool - I'll have to check other versions/retro since 0.60 is almost never played - I hope it may change once it gets official non beta.
Now I only have to find a way to use PG1 in the level builder program...
I'll try to mod the SDLDevil again at some point.
Late but... Thank you.
Descent Rangers

Current season stats
I do not recall any changes post-0.58.1 that would have enabled this, so it has probably worked for a long time.
(09-26-2017, 08:36 PM)aqqman Wrote: Actually I didn't check this thread for a while, considering this board dead.

If it works with 0.60 this is cool - I'll have to check other versions/retro since 0.60 is almost never played
You certainly have a way of encouraging further development.
(09-28-2017, 01:42 AM)Kp Wrote: I do not recall any changes post-0.58.1 that would have enabled this, so it has probably worked for a long time.
(09-26-2017, 08:36 PM)aqqman Wrote: Actually I didn't check this thread for a while, considering this board dead.

If it works with 0.60 this is cool - I'll have to check other versions/retro since 0.60 is almost never played
You certainly have a way of encouraging further development.

Yeah, it was sarcasm.
To be a bit constructive - Here is what I've heard when playing 0.60 BETA:
"- hey, the host has some advantage, it is somewhat easier to get a kill
- I would take that (above) for more accurate netcode it has (compared to retromod)"
As for myself I found it really cool when I saw stuff (spew) bouncing around like crazy after some explosion nearby (splash) - that was hilarious - seriously, I love it.
The netcode seems a lot better for me than retromod (faster?, more accurate?, no p2p bull****?) it just works better for me.
My point is that : I love it and I'm sort of pissed off that not many ppl want to play it - why?
- nah... it is beta
- nah... it doesn't have MAC version
- nah... it is pain in the butt with that ini file modification so it's inconvenient to switch between versions (I know at least 3 ppl who are unable to sort it out themselves)
- nah... I would have to change ini to use different tracker which doesn't show that fancy information (which retro tracker has - inconvenient part 2)
- nah... when we want to spawn with afterburner there are afterburners on the level showing up too (that one is silly but I've heard that too)

I guess you wish to sort out cooperative mode bugs (it is somewhat important) - I mean.... cooperative works just fine (more or less) in retro mod, where ppl don't shoot at each other, in anarchy Dxx-rebirth is much better in my opinion. I hope it is not coop bugs stopping you to name it 'official' and make MAC OS binary.

As for PG1 custom textures...I mean ... documentation would be awesome at some point, but then It wouldn't be so exciting to learn about these things on this forum and I'm serious with that - it's not sarcasm this time Wink
There is always something eh?
Descent Rangers

Current season stats