Midi device selection
Recent versions of Windows removed the MIDI mapper so there's now no way to select a default midi device other than the one first installed.  This usually is the less-than-stellar and unbalanced Microsoft GS Wavetable synth.  If you could add a choice of midi device, those of us who've made other arrangements for our MIDI music (Virtual MIDI Synth running Utopia in my case) could get better output.  This is more or less the same system people have to go through to get dosbox talking to Munt for reference.
(02-02-2017, 07:04 AM)davolfman Wrote: Recent versions of Windows removed the MIDI mapper so there's now no way to select a default midi device other than the one first installed.  This usually is the less-than-stellar and unbalanced Microsoft GS Wavetable synth.  If you could add a choice of midi device, those of us who've made other arrangements for our MIDI music (Virtual MIDI Synth running Utopia in my case) could get better output.  This is more or less the same system people have to go through to get dosbox talking to Munt for reference.

I second this.

GZdoom and its various cousins allow this, so I can't imagine it being very difficult for dxx and dxx2-rebirth to implement it.
I missed this when it was first posted. I don't use Windows, so testing this will be impossible for me. However, if you can post the patch that implements it, I would be happy to review it for inclusion.

After spending about 20 minutes poking through GZdoom documentation and source, I haven't found how they do this or even if they do it. If you don't have time to write a patch to add it to Rebirth, please point me to how they implemented this.
(12-22-2017, 03:35 AM)Kp Wrote: I missed this when it was first posted.  I don't use Windows, so testing this will be impossible for me.  However, if you can post the patch that implements it, I would be happy to review it for inclusion.

After spending about 20 minutes poking through GZdoom documentation and source, I haven't found how they do this or even if they do it.  If you don't have time to write a patch to add it to Rebirth, please point me to how they implemented this.

You can PM Graf Zahl himself on Doomworld's forums if you want.  He has an account there.
I don't have an account there, though. I don't use MIDI on any platform. I don't use the Doom engines, nor have any familiarity with how to configure them or how they implemented any of their features.
(12-22-2017, 04:48 AM)Kp Wrote: I don't have an account there, though.  I don't use MIDI on any platform.  I don't use the Doom engines, nor have any familiarity with how to configure them or how they implemented any of their features.

---

As far as using Doom sourceports go, here's a basic way to get started:

1) https://zdoom.org/downloads --> GZdoom is on the left hand side of the screen.  Since you're in Linux, you may have to compile it if you're not using Ubuntu.  

2) http://www.doomarchive.com/download.asp?FileId=5583

Place the extracted "doom1.wad" (this is the Shareware version of Doom and legal to freely distribute) from the above link's zip file in your GZDoom folder and run GZdoom.exe.  In the little startup screen that pops up, select Doom1.wad. You'll notice it has a hardware and software renderer. It doesn't matter which renderer you choose. Just pick one of them.

3) Once you get to the main menu, Options --> Sound Options --> Midi Devices.   OPL3 and Fluidsynth are two of the main variants of MIDI you can use, but there are others.  Now you're using MIDI.

4) Of course, setting actual games controls is under Options --> Customize Controls.  A good control setup is the keyboard keys "W", "A", "S", "D" for forward, left-strafe, right-strafe, and backwards respectively.  Left-mouse key to fire your weapons.  The number keys above the letter Q on your keyboard are for switching between weapons.

5) Select New Game --> Knee-Deep in the Dead

6) You're now playing Doom (albeit the shareware version).  Big Grin

---

1) Registering on Doomworld:

Go to https://www.doomworld.com/register/, which has free registration, and PM Graf Zahl.  In the "to" field of the PM section, type his name. His name will show up and then ask him howMIDI's implemented. He'll either tell you or not.
Perhaps I was unclear. It's not that I can't figure out how to do those things. It's that you're asking for a feature that:
  • Was requested twice in 10 months
  • Is a spot workaround for a platform where Microsoft made MIDI hard to use; it would be better to fix this at its source, by having a unified tool for properly configuring MIDI on impacted platforms
  • Only affects Windows users. Non-Windows MIDI Rebirth users get nothing from this.
  • Only affects MIDI users. Non-MIDI Rebirth users get nothing from this.
  • Requires me to go to a substantial amount of effort, despite me not being personally in any of the three groups, nor knowing of more than 2 users who are in those groups.
  • Shouldn't be very difficult for you to write up, since you're already familiar with the implementation in GZDoom and already assessed the complexity.
Thus, it'd be easier for everyone if you write it and I review it.
There is a temporary workaround until this is sorted out - DXAs containing pre-rendered soundtracks using various MIDI devices of the time, like OPL, Roland, Awe32 etc. Of course it's cumbersome, but it's there.
I'm Xfing from Descent BB.net.

D1,5 in progress. Drop by here to find out more.