DXX-Rebirth v0.60 BETA 1 released!
(05-05-2018, 04:18 AM)LightWolf Wrote: Make sure your Rebirth versions match.

(05-05-2018, 03:03 AM)Tourmeister Wrote: Both of us show the same game version v.59.100 followed by a mess load of other numbers that don't match on both of our computers.

Got that Wink
Your Rebirth versions do not match. The version number is only simple when it's a full release. When it is a snapshot, as all builds from the last few years are, the version number includes the "mess load of other numbers" that you already confirmed do not match. The game protocol is, by tradition, monotonically ascending within a release version. You say the host has 6, while the guests have 7. That says the host is behind and needs an update. Current version is 7 and has been since Add support for shuffling powerups in anarchy games (2018-04-02) increased it to make room for the feature in that commit.

You are not required to exactly match game versions at all times. However, any time the network protocol adds, removes, or reinterprets a field, the game protocol version is increased to ensure that all players agree on the fields. This is an unfortunate necessity, since the protocol has always been defined in terms of packed data, rather than labelled fields.

As an aside, Github issue #371 tracks your crash on entering level 17. I cannot work further on it without knowing which field(s) provoke the crash.
Well, I don't know how to fix it. I redownloaded the most recent beta from the link here:

https://www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx...18-win.zip

I used that same download to install a clean install on both computers. I then made brand new pilots on both computers on the off chance something might be whacked with one of the player files. When I try to do a multiplayer game I still get that error.

When I first downloaded the rebirth stuff back around Jan/Feb, I had no issues with it. So I am not sure what is happening here?
After unpacking that zip file on both machines, and starting the game from the binary from that zip file by double-clicking on the executable created in the directory by the zip unpacker, both machines still disagree about the version shown at the bottom of the main menu?

Broken player files should not cause this kind of issue.
(05-06-2018, 12:19 AM)Kp Wrote: After unpacking that zip file on both machines, and starting the game from the binary from that zip file by double-clicking on the executable created in the directory by the zip unpacker, both machines still disagree about the version shown at the bottom of the main menu?

Broken player files should not cause this kind of issue.

A week or so ago I downloaded the zip file directly to each computer from that link, but on different days. I just went back a few minutes ago and re downloaded from that same link at the same time on both machines. It now works... Is it possible the zip file changed from one day to the next between downloads?

Can I copy all the player files from the old directory into the new one and not lose all my saved games?
Why not just copy the file from one computer to the other?

Yes, it's possible that the zip was changed, but I don't think that's how AFP handles it. Are you sure you downloaded the same zip URL each time? He does periodically upload new zip files to new paths, and update the link accordingly.

Yes, you can relocate the entire Rebirth directory from one system to another.