Overload: Mike Kulas and Matt Toschlog team up to make a new 6DOF shooter
"OVERLOAD - The Ultimate Six-Degree-of-Freedom shooter"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/201...dom-shoote

This one is focusing on single player, with no multiplayer support planned so far. To me, this looks very promising.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
sounds really good so far.

especially this part...
Quote:Breath-taking graphics and spectacular sound, with a soundtrack by Dan Wentz & Allister Brimble.
The other thing I'm really psyched about is that the story is by the writer of FreeSpace 2, aka the space sim with one of the most engaging plots ever.
Descent Rangers
Name: Maestro
Assignment: Black Squad
OK, so now it is not only single player any more:

Quote:Due to overwhelming demand, we are now committing (if the Kickstarter makes it) to making a **MULTIPLAYER EXPANSION**for Overload. We always wanted to have multiplayer and believed we would eventually, but we did not feel comfortable making a public commitment to it. It's too easy for something like multiplayer to blow up the schedule and adversely affect the single player game. We want to hit our single player date with a great game.

So, here's our plan: We will deliver the single player game in March, 2017. If the Kickstarter campaign is successful, we will deliver multiplayer as an expansion sometime after that (likely 6-8 months). Everyone who backs the campaign at the DIGITAL EDITION reward level and above will receive a free copy of the multiplayer expansion. We are not sure on the scope, but it will include the competitive modes and key features that kept Descent going for over 20 years.

I think this will resonate well with most parts of the still-active descent community, although cooperative multiplayer is still not really on the menu.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
I'm not sure about the game, even if I will like it. But I still love playing Descent franchise.

By the way, I played Sublevel Zero before. It was very nice and beautiful, but was weird to feel. It's hard to describe.
MD1985
From what I have seen in the beta / early access versions, the game has really a descent-ish feel to me. The flight model, the level design, the robots, the weapons - albeit all being different, they still resonate well with the original designs and styles from descent. It won't be able to replace descent, of course, and it doesn't have to. But it certainly has the potential to become a rather strong contribution to the 6dof genre, on it's own.

I haven't been doing much gaming in recent years, but the beta version of overload got me hooked again. There are only few games which I did play longer (descent being among them, of course), and it is also already on my rather short list of games that killed joysticks (current highscores: descent: 4, winter games: 2, overload: 1)

The current plan is to have multiplayer right at release, and that is planned for may/june 2018. I'm actually looking forward to that.