mouse acceleration problems
hi, thanks for you amazing port, i enjoy a lot back to play descent* on my current pc .. but...

bug:

mouse acceleration problems

description:

i havent find any specific description but it is a so common problem that maybe everyone knows what i am talking.

- if you are still, and then move your mouse some direction, the "pointer" (reticle?, ship?) starts to accelerate, get angular speed and rotates smoothly
- on that way, if you now move your mouse to another direction IT STOPS PREVIOUS MOVEMENT ABRUPTLY and start to accelerate that other direction now
- continuing, if you move another direction now, IT STOPS AGAIN and gains acceleration to that new direction etc.

as you can imagine, it is very difficult to aim robots/corridors, or every little/far/moving targets this way... acceleration should be as smooth when rotation begins as when rotation stops or changes

this issue, together with slow pitch speed makes very annoying to play and doesnt allow to enjoy the game at full

i dont know maths involved in this process but i clearly feel (as other should) something is wrong with mouse accel calculations ... please fix it, i want to play dxx-rb !!!

thanks
what mouse mode are you using?  Flightsim or Rebirth?  How is your mouse set up?

Most of the best pilots in the world use mouse, and are able to aim quite precisely.
(06-20-2015, 05:41 AM)LotharBot link Wrote:what mouse mode are you using?  Flightsim or Rebirth?  How is your mouse set up?

Most of the best pilots in the world use mouse, and are able to aim quite precisely.

mouse control type: normal

i think this should not be "acceleration" but interpolation, smoothness or whatever ... maybe taking 3 lasts mouse coordinate samples and calculate the average .. idk

RELAX YOUR RODENT! :o

i think i was able to see what you were talking about by cranking up my mouse speed.  other then that i couldnt find any issue.

my mouse speed setting is 2 notches down from center and my dpi is somewhere around 800-1000... i dont have the software installed to check. and dont forget to turn off "enhance pointer precision"(for PC, if on a Mac then just forget the mouse...).

just remember the ship turns at a fixed top speed, so mouse inputs will be very lossy.  you need to do some testing to find the right speed and get used to not whipping around the mouse.

A quick tip for turning faster: turning up(or down) and left(or right) at an angle will make you turn faster, just like sliding up,left and forward will increase your speed. (bi(tri)chording).  or simply turn on your side and use the speedy side turning to look up or down Wink

Keyboard all the way for me!  Cool
System IVAN rev 2.0 - Win 7 64bit
Intel i7-3770 4.10 Ghz || EVGA GTX 970 || GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || Creative Sound Blaster Z || EVGA Supernova P2 850W || Enermax Fulmo Basic

Control Scheme: KEYBOARD DEFAULTS FTW!!
i complement the information with a graphic, to better understanding of the bug

[Image: d2_mouse_flaw.png]
The expectation is how every mouser I talk to experiences. This 8s a 1st for me to see someone with such a messed up mouse experience. I am at a loss....
edit: now that's I think about it, it does work like the 2nd example. That's is how it always was from the beginning and that is how us as a community got used to it. If we were to change it, it would mess all our aim up.
the current setup is closer to the way the keyboard handles.  if it were to act like the way you expect it, then you wouldnt be as maneuverable with the mouse as the keyboard.
System IVAN rev 2.0 - Win 7 64bit
Intel i7-3770 4.10 Ghz || EVGA GTX 970 || GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || Creative Sound Blaster Z || EVGA Supernova P2 850W || Enermax Fulmo Basic

Control Scheme: KEYBOARD DEFAULTS FTW!!