Delay picking up blue key speedrunning Descent level 2
This bug is pretty hard to reproduce because I believe it only affects speedruns of Descent.

When playing very quickly through level 2, you can sometimes fly right through the blue key without picking it up.  It isn't possible to pick up for a short while.  It doesn't happen every run - it seems to happen about 40% of the time.

I downloaded the dxx-rebirth source from github and am planning on trying to debug this myself.  If anyone has any guesses or ideas I would love to hear them.
yea it does seem like that sometimes. there is also a set of homers in level 3 (lava pit) that dont want to be picked up most of the time.

it might have something todo with collision? since there is already something of a collision bug with the ship and bots. (collision box is way too big for bots)

just my observations Smile
Is this Descent 1 level 2 ("Lunar Scilab" on automap) or Descent 2 level 2 ("Zeta Aquilae 2: Turnabout Bore" on automap)?

You mention it only affects speedruns.  Do you say that because the key is always grabbed when you take the time to clear the area first?  How long is "a short while" in this case?  The time taken to reverse thrust and run over it in reverse?  The time to turn the ship around and run over it going forward?  More than a few seconds?  More than a few minutes?

Some users have reported difficulty building unification for Windows.  Linux builds are in good order.  Mac builds should work.  If you have trouble with building it on any platform, please post details and I can try to help.
(01-24-2015, 06:05 PM)Kp link Wrote:Is this Descent 1 level 2 ("Lunar Scilab" on automap) or Descent 2 level 2 ("Zeta Aquilae 2: Turnabout Bore" on automap)?

This is Descent 1 Level 2, Lunar Scilab.

Quote:You mention it only affects speedruns.  Do you say that because the key is always grabbed when you take the time to clear the area first?  How long is "a short while" in this case?  The time taken to reverse thrust and run over it in reverse?  The time to turn the ship around and run over it going forward?  More than a few seconds?  More than a few minutes?

The key is always grabbable if you take the time to clear the area, or if you just fly slower.  "a short while" is around a second, give or take.

Here's a demo file with the bug: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...8951940016

In that demo you can see the delay before my ship grabs the blue key.  In the past I (and others) have flown straight through the key without picking it up at all.

Quote:Some users have reported difficulty building unification for Windows.  Linux builds are in good order.  Mac builds should work.  If you have trouble with building it on any platform, please post details and I can try to help.

I'm on Linux.  I downloaded the source from the Downloads section of dxx-rebirth.com, and it compiles fine.  I'm just now trying to figure out how some of the collision detection code works.

Edit: fyi I'll be out of town for the next two days, and I might not visit this forum until after that.