[d1x 0.58.1 windows 8] No INSTALL.TXT
I went to Downloads: DXX-Rebirth and selected the link labeled "[DOWNLOAD] Windows Vista, 7, 8 package". The link led to a zip file with the name d1x-rebirth_v0.58.1-win.zip. I saved the file, opened it and copied out the d1x-rebirth-v_0.58.1-win folder. I wasn't entirely sure what to do next, so I used opened the file README.txt from that folder. I scrolled down until I saw the section heading Installation. The section underneath it said simply "See INSTALL.txt.". I looked back in the unzipped folder. It contains the following folders and files:
Quote:demos
missions
screenshots
CHANGELOG.txt
COPYING.txt
d1x.ini
d1x-rebirth.exe
d1x-rebirth.ico
d1xr-hires.dxa
libFLAC-8.dll
libmikmod-2.dll
libogg-0.dll
libphysfs.dll
libvorbis-0.dll
libvorbisfile-3.dll
mikmod.dll
README.txt
README-D1X.txt
RELEASE-NOTES.txt
SDL.dll
SDL_mixer.dll
smpeg.dll

Was a file called INSTALL.txt meant to be included?
I'm not sure why the install file isn't there, but you can download the Windows installer from that same link and use it. There's a sticky'd thread in the general section for it which has some info about the add on options.
Dunno why this file is not included in the official binary releases, but you can always access the files directly on the github repo, so for version 0.58.1, the INSTALL.txt can be found at https://github.com/dxx-rebirth/dxx-rebir...NSTALL.txt.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
OK, bear with me; this is a little confusing. Smile The source packages for D1- and D2X-Rebirth each contain a "README.txt" and an "INSTALL.txt". "README.txt" contains basic info about Rebirth, while "INSTALL.txt" describes how to compile the source on several different OSes, as well as where to copy the game files. It seems that for the official Windows releases, zico takes the directions about copying game files from the two "INSTALL.txt", merges them into the two "README.txt", and names the resulting two files "README-D*X.txt". So the instructions for compiling are omitted - probably because most Windows users don't want to compile the program, and those who do would download the source packages anyway. But for version 0.58.1, it looks like the "README.txt" from the D2X-Rebirth source was accidentally added to the D1X-Rebirth Windows package. Luckily, the installation instructions for D1X-Rebirth are still present in the usual "README-D1X.txt".
This thing (explanation) which you posted ryusei, should be in README'S README for next build. INSTALL is another story.. which I guess requires another README describing how to find install instructions README  Wink
I'll see to it that the Readme's get revised for the next release. There is a lot of Copy-Paste going on in these files leading to mistakes. But from my lastest revision, README-D1X.txt should contain everything you need to know to continue. And of course A Future Pilot's installers are just awesome. Smile
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!