Poll: What is the oldest version of Mac OS X that you want to be able to play Rebirth on?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Tiger ( 10.4 )
33.33%
1 33.33%
Leopard ( 10.5 )
0%
0 0%
Snow Leopard ( 10.6 )
0%
0 0%
Lion ( 10.7 )
0%
0 0%
Mountain Lion ( 10.8 )
66.67%
2 66.67%
Mavericks ( 10.9 )
0%
0 0%
Yosemite ( 10.10 )
0%
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Oldest supported OS X version
A recent Github pull request has raised the issue of supported OS X versions.  Please indicate by vote the oldest OS X version on which you play or intend to play Rebirth on a regular basis.  If you do not use OS X, please abstain from voting.
I voted Tiger without realizing exactly how old that is. I'd actually like 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to be the oldest supported. I didn't see a way to change my vote in the poll.
Do you have, or at least know someone who has, a Mac which currently runs OS X Snow Leopard?  For very old systems like that, community testers may be needed.  If no one actually has such a system, the best we can do is set the compiler to permit that version and hope it works.
Hello -- what were the last supported version of both the client and server for windows that
ran under/in win/xp -- can those version still be downloaded? Thanks
(12-11-2014, 01:35 PM)R19hum link Wrote:Hello -- what were the last supported version of both the client and server for windows that
ran under/in win/xp -- can those version still be downloaded? Thanks
This is Dxx-Rebirth forum which is Descent port for modern systems.
Dxx-Rebirth comes as single executable (and as source code) with both - client and host(server) capabilities (for windows,linux and macosx).
Dxx-Rebirth works fine with Win-XP (probably with Win2k too) - I'm not sure about older windows.
You can find more information on main page here: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/features/
This thread however is about MacOSX version.

I made a lot of assumptions while answering your question which wasn't very specific - forgive me if I didn't get it right.
(12-11-2014, 03:04 AM)Kp link Wrote:Do you have, or at least know someone who has, a Mac which currently runs OS X Snow Leopard?  For very old systems like that, community testers may be needed.  If no one actually has such a system, the best we can do is set the compiler to permit that version and hope it works.

I know a couple people, but I don't know if they'll be able to do any testing. I think y'all should just set the compiler flag and if anyone posts on here that can't use it we can let them test.
I can't vote because I use 10.3.9 panther on my G4-MacMini.
You support OS9 and OSX from Tiger upwards, why no Panther?
Though I can upgrade to Tiger, but I don't see any real advantages here.

Is it possible to get DXX working on Panther and what should I do?
Thx
Doc
I believe 10.3.9 was omitted due to lack of space. I very much doubt OS 9 is still supported, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong. The documentation says the Makefile for OS9 is out of date, and that documentation was borderline obsolete when I took over maintenance years ago. Every source file has been moved (by the unification project) since then.

I don't know if you can get it to work on Tiger or Panther. Per discussion on the Github pull request, you may have difficulty getting a compiler that understands the current code and can generate code for such an old target. Compilers that were current when those targets were common are too old to understand many constructs used in the current code. Compilers new enough to understand those constructs often dropped old targets to ease the burden on the maintainers. I encourage you to try to build for your preferred target, and report back with whether and how well it works. (Please use a separate thread for that report, if you need any help getting it to work.)
I don't have Tiger (10.4) installed. I only have Panther (10.3.9). Starting the macDemo with DXX leads to a missing mikmod or so.
I think it's a SDL component or am I wrong here. I have to check this out again.
It's the same with the RiseOfTheTriad OSX port. This also requires Tiger and above. Tiger does not offer any advantages for my machine.
The ATI-9200 in my G4-Mini does not support "core image" that comes with Tiger. Panther runs very good on that macmini.
Mikmod is not directly part of SDL. It seems like Tiger offers the advantage of greater software compatibility. Wink

I don't gratuitously drop old OS support, but I'm not particularly reluctant to drop very old platforms if they stand in the way of substantial improvements elsewhere. (On the other hand, I restored support for Windows 2000 when someone reported it was broken, even though it took almost 5 years between when zico merged the change that broke it and when someone reported it. That change wasn't particularly hard to make conditional so that Windows 2000 would work, though. Your problem might be much worse, if you cannot find a modern compiler that can build for such an old target.)

I don't maintain any of the Mac ports, so I am the wrong one to discuss this particular compatibility issue. If you want to use prebuilt Mac binaries, you need to speak with someone who can provide them, and possibly convince that person to support very old platforms. If you want to build your own, I can try to offer advice if you run into specific compilation or linking problems. For now, I would suggest that you install the mikmod library and try again.