FAQ me!
1) Not really. For two reasons:
a) I do not really like Descent 3 too much - so if there would be such a project it would not come from me I guess (but never say never)
b) Up to this point, no one ever released the Source and I doubt there are still enough coders from Descent 3 somewhere to find to agree for an Open Source release of Descent 3. And having the Source would be mandatory.
Also we could not even be sure if any Source of the game still *exists*... If not - and it could be possible - there would neve rbe a D3X-Reibirth without starting it from scratch.

2) Well, I wish some day it WOULD become Freeware. But since GOG is selling the game again (and I am swimming with them instead of just biting in my ass) I guess the Freedom of the Content rushed back a good bit again.
Also I am not a lawyer but to my understanding it would be very hard to release the content after all. From my understanding, depending on the agreement with all the artists, Interplay would need the agreement of each single artist of any content the game offers to ship this as Freeware.
Most likely PARALLAX or Interplay (dunno which one) has all the right to all the content and there is only one agreement needed to publish this content to the public for free.
But there is still one obstacle: Why should Interplay do this? They still sell the game over GOG any maybe other services. They want the money - who doesn't.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Quote:a) I do not really like Descent 3 too much

Really?  I think there was one thing D3 had over D1 and D2 that isn't even in XL (and probably won't be, it was very minor but what really set the game apart for me): amazing physics.  When your ship was destroyed it didn't just spin in place, it went careening into a wall to explode (for example).

Apart from that, D3 is the only Descent I can actually play multiplayer in from home.  For some reason my network doesn't like D1 or D2 (any version).

The eyes of the plush lobster stared deep into my soul. I touched it, made as if to pick it up, and then I became a panther.

---------------------------------------------------
Check out my music @ Vertigo Fox
I am th esingleplayer guy personally. And I somehow just hate where the story evolved in D3... in my humble opinion - and D3 fans hopefully forgive me - the story was lame, uninspired and the overall design didn't feel like anything serious.
Most likely PARALLAX or Interplay (dunno which one) has all the right to all the content and there is only one agreement needed to publish this content to the public for free.
But there is still one obstacle: Why should Interplay do this? They still sell the game over GOG any maybe other services. They want the money - who doesn't.

I've visited GOG, are those games actually ready to run??? on new windoze machines. I don't mind bbuying things for the grandkids but there not ready to find their own patches, and I hate solving daughters computer problems over the phone
GOG sells D1/2 in versions bundled with DOSBox. So you get a full DOS emulation with the game and you can play it that way. Of course the better way is to run the content with DXX-Rebirth. And DXX-Rebirth is only the engine. Same it would be with a theoretical D3X. The content still stays copyright-protected so Interplay can earn money from the GOG releases as well as small projects like DXX-Rebirth (indirectly). So even if they release the engine: Interplay still wins.
So I don't know if this counts as FAQ but I was wondering...how long have you been playing Descent? And what's the hardest level setting you can play on? Can you beat it on Insane? (I can't come anywhere close to that! But then again I use keyboard only) Smile
Quote:GOG sells D1/2 in versions bundled with DOSBox. So you get a full DOS emulation with the game and you can play it that way. Of course the better way is to run the content with DXX-Rebirth. And DXX-Rebirth is only the engine. Same it would be with a theoretical D3X. The content still stays copyright-protected so Interplay can earn money from the GOG releases as well as small projects like DXX-Rebirth (indirectly). So even if they release the engine: Interplay still wins.

I got the GOG version, it runs flawlesly (so far) on my desktop and my antique laptop. It also runs on my daughters desktop, but no sound on the grandkids dell d600. OH WELL But I've got a joystick to give the grandkid on her birthday (mid april) to use on her ma's desktop machine.
Now I need a joystick for me. Lets see- fathers day june?
Quote:So I don't know if this counts as FAQ but I was wondering...how long have you been playing Descent? And what's the hardest level setting you can play on? Can you beat it on Insane? (I can't come anywhere close to that! But then again I use keyboard only) Smile

Like you said, insane is really hard. You'll die often, if its not because of the splash damage of missile droids, then its because of vulcan droids.
Ace is doable though and really fun to play.
I use the keyboard + mouse to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkR1SZ_n0-k

That vid is me playing level 1 on insane.
Quote:So I don't know if this counts as FAQ but I was wondering...how long have you been playing Descent? And what's the hardest level setting you can play on? Can you beat it on Insane? (I can't come anywhere close to that! But then again I use keyboard only) Smile

I play D1 since 95. I started with the Shareware, which was provided on a "Shareware CD" with over 350 games. Back in the day, this was the only source to "try" new games - was 10 bucks.
Then I bought D1 with Levels of the World, bundled together. 96 then came D2.
Still it took me until 2002 to get my hands on the Vertigo Series Addon. I got that via the "Definitive Collection" I got on eBay. I NEVER saw the Addon sold seperately in ANY store in Germany.

As for the Difficulty, I must admit I mostly played Rookie - even Trainee, when I made my "never save"-runs, which took me almost a day to finish one game, without even making pauses (except peeing). However today I prefer Hotshot and I can beat both games that way.
Ace and Insane are a bit... rough. I actually do not like these difficulties too much as they are just too frustrating for me (Singleplayer). Either you be VERY careful on every corner, or you just keep dying - both are not very motivating approaches. Many games are just more fun with easier difficulty for me. Just the fun while playing, shooting, trashing enemies. Only few games motivate me for challenges like the Mega Man series (Classic ones from 1-10) or Bayonetta.
Beating the final 8 levels of D2 (plus the ice boss) on Rookie was an accomplishment for me Tongue. I beat D1 completely on Rookie, but it took some months, and I had to be very careful... the best trick I found is that certain places seem to be meant for Smart Missiles... a good example is going down the driller shaft to get the red key on level 22... a smart missile on each ledge and the drillers don't know what's hit them Tongue.

I was able to beat level 11 of Descent Maximum on Ace, cold start. The starting room in that level has a ton of weapons including a super laser (my most used weapon).

The eyes of the plush lobster stared deep into my soul. I touched it, made as if to pick it up, and then I became a panther.

---------------------------------------------------
Check out my music @ Vertigo Fox