FAQ me!
I was illuding to more of the multiplied damage for each target a bolt hit.
Wow, so you mean :
- Bolt hits Pyro 1 -> 40 damage
- Bolt hits a Bot -> 80 damage
- Bolt hits Reactor -> 160 damage
I must admit, I am not aware of anything like that but this deserves a bug report I think.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
As I recall the fusion gun has always increased in strength the more targets it hits.

IMO it's part of the core gameplay of D1/D2 and shouldn't be changed.
Well, I'll analyze this further. I must say I do not know it and never looked if there's code producing this. Then I'll see what I'll do.
If I'm not mistaken, at least one of these fusion bugs occurs when two or more bots are in contact with the same fusion bolt. Bots are dealt damage each frame when this happens. I read in D2X-XL the solution. Does anyone mind if I share? Well shit, D2X-XL is open source so whoever's being a hyprocrite can suck my .. . Fusion remembers only 1 bot it has collided with to make sure it doesn't deal damage on the next frame. So when there's n>1 bots being hit it doesn't work. I think is unintentional and also broken.

The core also receives frame-based damage from fusion, I thought because it's an extended object, but I guess robots are too. Maybe it just doesn't have a structure that fits into the fusion's "memory". In any case I think the 1-2 fusion shots into reactor is FAIR because the interplay people and most of the idiodic level creators whose levels I've had the pleasure of playing put like 8 homing missile/vulcan guys (Descent 1) or some superset for Descent 2 in the core room. The usual solution for >Hotshot is to save shield, run in and shoot the core, and run to exit. And I mean they're called fusion reactor cores and the fusion cannon, and they both have fusion, so any pseudoscientist should know that fusion LOGICALLY should kill a reactor easily.

It really pisses me off that they divided the fusion damage in half in descent 2. Was that their attempt to solve one of these bugs? It can still be used for lots of small robots in a confied space, but Parallax doesn't seem to have implemented this anywhere, or at least not overtly.

I have a question about you and Deidel's relationship (not romantic). I understand he's a challenging character. But he commonly insults this venture and produces people who do too. I don't mind him thinking that this is a useless venture. But why does he have to be so discouraging toward it? Is it in your power to talk sensibly to him to stop him doing so?
Quote:If I'm not mistaken, at least one of these fusion bugs occurs when two or more bots are in contact with the same fusion bolt. Bots are dealt damage each frame when this happens. I read in D2X-XL the solution. Does anyone mind if I share? Well shit, D2X-XL is open source so whoever's being a hyprocrite can suck my .. . Fusion remembers only 1 bot it has collided with to make sure it doesn't deal damage on the next frame. So when there's n>1 bots being hit it doesn't work. I think is unintentional and also broken.

Ahh yessss. That was it! when you had a "cluster" of bots, the damage equation wasn't able to handle it correctly.

Quote:The core also receives frame-based damage from fusion, I thought because it's an extended object, but I guess robots are too. Maybe it just doesn't have a structure that fits into the fusion's "memory". In any case I think the 1-2 fusion shots into reactor is FAIR because the interplay people and most of the idiodic level creators whose levels I've had the pleasure of playing put like 8 homing missile/vulcan guys (Descent 1) or some superset for Descent 2 in the core room. The usual solution for >Hotshot is to save shield, run in and shoot the core, and run to exit. And I mean they're called fusion reactor cores and the fusion cannon, and they both have fusion, so any pseudoscientist should know that fusion LOGICALLY should kill a reactor easily.

Hmmm. lol.. Well "Actually" there are a few circumstantial separators here.

The fusion reactor is just that; a free standing structure that contains and harnesses the energies released from a "controlled" fusion reaction.

The fusion cannon is basically an "out spicket" for the fusion engine. I recall reading a description of the fusion cannon years and years ago. It described how the process was basically a "dump" of raw fusion from your engine's core. (yikes!) and was recommended to be used mostly on the big guys. (bosses)

When a fusion bolt compromises the reactor's sheilding, containment is lost and the reaction runs wild. ... rapidly... :-D  So it's not so much fusion destroying fusion, but fusion disrupting a fusion container. The bolt is what you might call "Cohereant" energy; like a laser. the fusion in the reactor is not.  Or look at it this way:  The fusion that exits your cannon is like a nicely spun and wound ball of yarn. While the fusion in the reactor if you were to "pop the top off" the core would likewise resemble the lint in the trap of your drier.  You could make it into yarn, it would take some doing. ;D
Quote:If I'm not mistaken, at least one of these fusion bugs occurs when two or more bots are in contact with the same fusion bolt. Bots are dealt damage each frame when this happens. I read in D2X-XL the solution. Does anyone mind if I share? Well shit, D2X-XL is open source so whoever's being a hyprocrite can suck my .. . Fusion remembers only 1 bot it has collided with to make sure it doesn't deal damage on the next frame. So when there's n>1 bots being hit it doesn't work. I think is unintentional and also broken.

The core also receives frame-based damage from fusion, I thought because it's an extended object, but I guess robots are too. Maybe it just doesn't have a structure that fits into the fusion's "memory". In any case I think the 1-2 fusion shots into reactor is FAIR because the interplay people and most of the idiodic level creators whose levels I've had the pleasure of playing put like 8 homing missile/vulcan guys (Descent 1) or some superset for Descent 2 in the core room. The usual solution for >Hotshot is to save shield, run in and shoot the core, and run to exit. And I mean they're called fusion reactor cores and the fusion cannon, and they both have fusion, so any pseudoscientist should know that fusion LOGICALLY should kill a reactor easily.

This sounds pretty logical to me. Definetly something I expect from this type of coding, PARALLAX produced...
Something that could and should be fixed. In a satisfying way of course.
EDIT: All shame on me here: I NEVER knew about this bug!

/* EDIT:
* DISCUSSION ABOUT DXX-REBIRTH AND D2X-XL MOVED HERE:
* http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/smf/index.php?topic=857.0
* /
One thing I would like to add about the reactor.

The reactor in D1/D2 does not take damage like a bot. The whole CUBE that the reactor is rendered in takes damage. When you build a level, you insert a reactor cube. Sooo, if you ever come to a reactor in a wall -that is to say it doesn't appear to be free standing- shoot at a lower edge of the cube it's in and you will see it register damage when you aren't actually hitting the reactor model.
Come on, guys, what are we waiting for - let's FAQ Zico!

Here is a more challenging question:

Dear Zico, how do you imagine DXX-Revirth when it reaches version number 1.00?

(in terms of features, feel, compatibility, etc.)
Gib mir Benzin!
Oh that is a very nice question.

Well, Version 1.00 is always a psychological term and IMHO a program only deserves it, when it's absolutely perfect. Of course, from the technical side, this is not really possible: a program needs constant administration to ensure it keeps running. Also I think it's only a theoretical wish, to remove *all* possible quirks and bugs.

But a wise man once said: The way is the goal.

For 1.00 I have several different desires.
The feel of the program is the most important. Aesthetic is something wonderful and very important thing, too. Both for the user and for me as the maintainer. As I always said: features are secondary. Still if a feature is implemented, I put my eye on the aesthetics as well. A game is made out of a set of code, made by rules. In this set of rules, new features have to exist. Not outside. So if I implement a feature, it must *fit* to what the game already is. Extend but not change. Many features - such as Persistent Debris - are mostly a playtoy I implemented because I wanted to see how it works and how it looks. I certainly do not see this as necessary.

If there is *anything* inside DXX-Rebirth a user does not fully understand and/or confuses - the design is not right. DXX-Rebirth still is full of such things. I want to get rid of them tilll 1.00.

Also I would like to eliminate bugs as good as possible. As I do not think I can remove all bugs, it's also important to have a better error handling. If the game crashes, it should tell you why so I can easily reproduce this, even if I have never seen that crash and not sit in front of your computer. This is still a big flaw in the game.

Compability is complex and simple in the same way. DXX-Rebirth in the first place wants to be compatible to the previous games. It's hard to set any new standards without every single player agreeing to it. And tha tis simply impossible. So I stay with what worked for nearly 15 years. Sometimes this is not easy - especially when it comes to flaws in the original games. There it often would be easier to make something new, but I try to consider this the last way to go. But I suspect, that IPX may be dead until 1.00 as I currently have more negative than positive information about Windows 7 in that regard. So a Multiplayer compability to MS-DOS games are not given now.
How it looks with D2X-XL in terms of Multiplayer is currently not known to me. I just cannot say too much but I think there's certainly more to it than just a matching UDP protocol. In the first place there MUST be ensured that each player has the same gaming experience. Having two different programs with different approaches and aims, this could be complicated. But it's too early to say something there. It's definetly possible but it should not be confusing or in any way frustrating - otherwise I would have pretty much destroyed what I worked for on Multiplayer the last years. As said: Too early - these opinions originate from my experience with DXX/DOS compability.

I also have certain wishes for things I could do with the code that is the original Level Editor of DESCENT. It's certainly nothing which is being usable for the next years and no real priority since DLE-XP is currently a very good product. But it's there and some day I want to do something with it. It's just there and ther ewill be a time when my interest will focus on it. If this will happen before 1.00 I really doubt, however.

From my side I wish for 1.00 to get a single base of Sorucecode. As there are several technical differences between D1 and D2, there's also same amount which uses the exact same sourcecode. I would like to merge this one day. If something is rewritten, both games get the exact same code now. This slight unification now happens for months and one day I would like to have ONE sourcecode.
However the actual aim STILL is to let D1 be D1 and D2 be D2. In the end, there still should be TWO seperate binaries, or one binary which you can launch in D1X-R mode and in D2X-R mode.
For you all the game will stay the same as it is now, but I will gain advantage from not working in a very redundant cycle.

Last but not least: The code needs general improvements (from beast to beauty) and a good documentation.

A last thing before I finish this: Only because Rebirth is not 1.00, it does not necessarily mean that it's not playable. Even if always has a bug or two, the actual experience should be the same or better than the original game already. We can always find points where it needs to be improved, but pre-1.00 does not mean "do not use" or "expect problems". As I said - version numbering is a psychological thing and there would be a lot of people who would give 0.55 the 1.00 already - and I could do that as well, I just do not feel like it already.