0.58.1 DXXr - doors acting funny? maybe bug.
im not sure if the original descent does this (havent pulled out the old 9x system yet), but when you create a standard door in DLE-XP, rotate the secondary texture 90 deg leaving the base texture reset; in game the door rotates to the reset position upon opening.

DEMO, HOG, MN2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ITSQU...sp=sharing

NOTE: i wont have internet access the next day or two possibly so i wont be able to reply as soon.
System IVAN rev 2.0 - Win 7 64bit
Intel i7-3770 4.10 Ghz || EVGA GTX 970 || GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || Creative Sound Blaster Z || EVGA Supernova P2 850W || Enermax Fulmo Basic

Control Scheme: KEYBOARD DEFAULTS FTW!!
i confirmed this happens in the original descent 1 & 2 as well.
System IVAN rev 2.0 - Win 7 64bit
Intel i7-3770 4.10 Ghz || EVGA GTX 970 || GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || Creative Sound Blaster Z || EVGA Supernova P2 850W || Enermax Fulmo Basic

Control Scheme: KEYBOARD DEFAULTS FTW!!
Well it is how animation works compared to regular texture.
In SDLDevil I can't use rotate 2nd texture angle function since it will give me exactly the same result as you described, since you are turning static texture only but not the baseline of the door animation.
So, I have to use manual texture rotation to create vertical door - this is done by turning entire thing (both textures at once) 90 deg, which doesn't really turn textures but the way how they are viewed (animation base) in the game. I guess this isn't the bug but feature which comes from different concept of displaying animated walls/doors.

I know that SDLDevil is very different than DLE but maybe it would give you more idea with those images:

I cant do that since it will give me effect as you described (see red circled panel on the right):

[Image: angle1.JPG]

Instead I have to do this (rotate entire layout - both textures):

[Image: angle2.JPG]

Then I got this (see that both textures in right panel are listed as not turned - 2nd is 0 deg):

[Image: angle3.JPG]

Final result in the game (vertical door):

[Image: angle4.JPG]

The only restriction here is that I can't turn 1st texture against 2nd texture - they both must stay same way in relation to each other, but this is only the case with animated walls. There is work around that with custom texture (pog), but it isn't very convenient (use custom texture which is 90 deg rotated original).