Can't find hog file for Descent 2? please help!
Hey everyone.  I found my dad's descent 2 disc from the 90's, and I downloaded DXXrebirth from here.

I copied and paste these files from my CD, to the directory.

descent2.ham
  descent2.hog
  descent2.s11
  descent2.s22
  alien1.pig
  alien2.pig
  fire.pig
  groupa.pig
  ice.pig
  water.pig
  intro-h.mvl and/or intro-l.mvl
  other-h.mvl and/or other-l.mvl
  robots-h.mvl and/or robots-l.mvl

But when I try to load the game, it doesn't work  Cry

It says

Error:  Could not find a valid hog file (descent2.hog or descent2demo.hog)

What am I doing wrong?

When you have your Descent2 CD, the files on there are usually between 0 and 4 bytes small (except the movies, i.e. the mvl files). For Descent 2 you actually need to extract the real files from a file called "descent2.sow" with an ARJ extractor.
You could also use the Installer which is provided as a Third party on our download page. This make sit a bit easier if you aren't comfortable with extracting the main game archive on your own. I hope this helps. Smile
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Wow thanks it worked!  you were right.  All of the correct files were the Sow file.  I couldn't use the ARJ archiver/extractor, though. 

When I did, it said something about how "The program or feature xxxxxxxxxx cannot stat or run due to an incompatibility with 64-bit versions of windows.  Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

This always seems to happen whenever I try running an older program, such as Dos Doom, Quake, ect.  So I have to download other means of running them, such as Steam and in this case, Rebirth.

I used Universal Extractor. 

Thanks again for the help. the games run perfectly.
Yes, Rebirth is currently not provided as a 64Bit binary. The game does not really profit from 64Bit so I never bothered to make a 64Bit binary. But don't worry, the code is compatible and I will provide 64Bit binaries in the future - if I figure out how to do that with MinGW. Thinking of it, we might switch to 64Bit altogether since 64Bit CPUs are widely spread - but I don't know how much 64Bit Windows versions have been established...
Considering how many people here seem to be on Windows XP - and also considereing the fact that the Win XP x64 edition was kind of an obscure niche product which lacked real driver support - I guess switching to 64 Bit completely might be too early for this particular crowd.  Wink
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Of course. On the other hand I DO also consider that XP isn't supported anymore. Like DOS - we don't support that one as well. It really depends - hard to say. Honestly I haven't seen an XP machine the whole year.
You need mingw64 to produce 64-bit binaries.  I did it once just to see if it could be done.  I believe phoclon was reporting that the extractor tool was not usable on Win64, not that he had a problem with Rebirth due to Win64.

If you were really ambitious, you could try to build Rebirth with MS Visual Studio for x64 support.  The "Express" editions are free, I think.  I have been told that mingw64 produces some data tables in a way that violates some poorly documented Microsoft ABI, but I don't know if that actually affects the usability of the generated program.
mingw64 - right! I forgot that thing existed! I will try that.

For clarification: I won't stop shipping 32Bit bins anytime soon. Maybe in v0.8. So in the year 2040. Big Grin
The Win32 build works, but presently Win64 fails to build due to a conflict between the mingw64-g++ format checker and the mingw64 stdint headers.  PRIi64 is defined to I64i, then undefined, redefined to lli, then expanded.  The mingw64-g++ format checker then rejects lli as not a valid specifier.
kp - destroyer of dreams. Okay so let's delay that to 2052. Wink