[D1XR 0581] vsync testing
This is great news. Thank you very much for the update on this.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
i ran a quick test on my dell 9200 with XP sp3 and the vsync option worked just fine, and the game played great.  it has a Nvidia 7300 LE with openGL version 2.1.2 as reported by DXX.  ill do some testing with the intel cards on the two previous mentioned pc's.  but im thinking its a problem with intel gfx.

the only other computer it doesnt work with is my old laptop.  its an Lenovo Thinkpad R60 with a ATI mobility X1400 which used to run the game fine many versions ago, i cant remember which though.  it has XP sp2 and the latest ati driver from the lenovo site, ill need to check the opengl version.  in this case, not even "Force-ON" in the control center worked, it still stuttered horribly and hovered around 60ish FPS.
System IVAN rev 2.0 - Win 7 64bit
Intel i7-3770 4.10 Ghz || EVGA GTX 970 || GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || Creative Sound Blaster Z || EVGA Supernova P2 850W || Enermax Fulmo Basic

Control Scheme: KEYBOARD DEFAULTS FTW!!
The OpenGL code definitely requires a 4.x version. Tho I am not sure right now (I gotta look this up) if 4.0 will do or 4.2 is required. Tho it's sometimes hard to say with integrated chips as they say supporting a OpenGL till version X.Y but actually fail on some parts. At least this was sometimes the case in the past.
the opengl version on the R60 laptop is 2.1.8 and the one on the HD 5770 computer (a g41 intel chipset) is 2.1.0 and the vsync option does nothing.  the link below shows what intel chip supports which versions.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm
System IVAN rev 2.0 - Win 7 64bit
Intel i7-3770 4.10 Ghz || EVGA GTX 970 || GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || Creative Sound Blaster Z || EVGA Supernova P2 850W || Enermax Fulmo Basic

Control Scheme: KEYBOARD DEFAULTS FTW!!
(07-11-2014, 10:26 PM)zico link Wrote:The OpenGL code definitely requires a 4.x version. Tho I am not sure right now (I gotta look this up) if 4.0 will do or 4.2 is required.

What are you talking about here? Rebirth does not require GL 4.x, nor 3.x, nor 2.x. The last time I checked, it even worked with microsofts sw rasterizer which is doing only 1.1. And there are only a few things in the code which require a non-prehistoric version (like anisotropic filtering). So I'm officialy confused now. :o
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
We are not using any glBegin and glEnd anymore for rendering certain elements. If I am not completely mistaken, this is not supported in OpenGL < 4.x. If I AM mistaken, I am sorry. I actually need to look up the Redbook for this.
(07-13-2014, 05:29 PM)zico link Wrote:We are not using any glBegin and glEnd anymore for rendering certain elements. If I am not completely mistaken, this is not supported in OpenGL < 4.x. If I AM mistaken, I am sorry. I actually need to look up the Redbook for this.

LOL, no. Vertex Arrays were introduced in OpenGL 1.1. And anyone using Begin/End (immediate mode) for something more than a trivial example or debug visualization aid in the last 15 years was doing it wrong. What we use are client side vertex arrays, which are really outdated since the introduction of vertex buffer objects in GL1.5, deprecated since 3.0 and support for this has been removed in 3.2 core profile (together with immediate mode, fixed function pipline the matrix stack and all other features of which we make heavy use...).

On MacOS, modern GL >= 3.0 is only supported in core profiles, and the open source linux drivers of the mesa project are going the same route. So if one still want to use the old legacy stuff (as we do), we are stuck with GL 2.1 there.

THe situation is similar with GLES. We use 1.x, which is basically ES's vcariant of the legacy GL fixed function pipeline, just with immediate mode removed (which was the reason for us to siwtch to vertex arrays). For GLES >= 2, we neeed to drop the fixed-function pipeline, as we have to do for desktop GL >=3.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Oh see then I was thinking backwards. Thank you for clearing this up. Smile