[D1XR 0581] vsync testing
thought id finally run some tests to see why this runs so poorly.

standard 60hz vsync = game is playable but very odd. animations appear to run slowly causing major collision, ship speed, and firepower problems.

30hz vsync = completely unplayable

75hz vsync = corrects 75% of the problems experienced when using 60hz.

85hz vsync = even better then 75hz, almost no problems worth complaining about.

conclusion
the game is not optimized for 60fps at all. the higher the vsync the better (normal) the game plays.

and,

HTH do you guys (& gals) play with vsync off?! its freakin horrible! !!!
i guess you guys are just used to it.
Please let me know of your video card model and your current driver version.  And I assume you run the game on Windows, right? But which version of Windows exactly?
Do you have the same issue with VSync off and "-maxfps 60"?
Do you have Texture filtering enabled? If yes, do you have the same issues without (CLASSIC mode)?
In case you run Windows XP, does it make a difference adding "-nonicefps"? (EDIT: Please note that I cannot support Windows XP anymore due to the end of it's lifetime. So if it turns out, this bug *is* XP-only, there is probably not much I can do)
In worst case, can you specify exactly what "odd" and "unplayable" means? A video - if possible - might also help me greatly to identify what exactly your problem is.
Another question would be on how do you force VSync to all these different Hz rates. Do you have different monitors? If yes, where do you got a 30Hz monitor from?
Then again, it has been confirmed multiple times that VSync via SDL seems to force 60FPS. So I assume you can confirm your FPS results?

Also in regards of your conclusion: Do you actually talk about VSync?
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
(06-24-2014, 08:50 AM)zico link Wrote:Please let me know of your video card model and your current driver version.  And I assume you run the game on Windows, right? But which version of Windows exactly?

Do you have the same issue with VSync off and "-maxfps 60"?

Do you have Texture filtering enabled? If yes, do you have the same issues without (CLASSIC mode)?

In case you run Windows XP, does it make a difference adding "-nonicefps"?

(EDIT: Please note that I cannot support Windows XP anymore due to the end of it's lifetime. So if it turns out, this bug *is* XP-only, there is probably not much I can do)

In worst case, can you specify exactly what "odd" and "unplayable" means? A video - if possible - might also help me greatly to identify what exactly your problem is.

Another question would be on how do you force VSync to all these different Hz rates. Do you have different monitors? If yes, where do you got a 30Hz monitor from?

Then again, it has been confirmed multiple times that VSync via SDL seems to force 60FPS. So I assume you can confirm your FPS results?

Also in regards of your conclusion: Do you actually talk about VSync?

nvidia geforce gt610 ~ 314.22 ~ WinXP Pro32 SP3 dx9.0c

yes

yes ~ yes

no

that just plain sucks.

odd meaning exactly as i discribed ~ bot collisions, ship speed, weapons contact, slow explosion animations. Ryguy also tested vsync to see what i was talking about in the speedrun thread.
unplayable meaning just that.

i can force refresh rates thru drivers.

FPS confirmed in-game in all tests.

vsync may not be at fault, low fps might be.

it would take playing the speedrun to notice these problems and the differences between vsync on and vsync off, the difference of Drakona's exe (which doesnt have these problems), and the difference in Descent2. (which also doesnt have these problems)

if D1 is supposed to be the same as D2 in these reguards, then D1 is broken.
It gives me a slight idea where this might come from. I wish Drakona would document her changes so I could confirm that but I just gotta try. I tested the game today on Windows 7 with an nVidia GTX 660 and an onboard Intel chip and I could not reproduce any of these issues. But since you describe collision errors, I assume it has something to do with the physics model which I am still working on. But I am not sure since I don't really know what to look for. From your explanation, I assume you have varying game speed which I cannot reproduce - not even on the technical side. The game runs at the same speed in every FPS setting - for me at least.

As for XP: I simply cannot test the game on Windows XP anymore. It's as simple as that. I do have a 32Bit version but my machine will simply not run it anymore as it does not offer any drivers for it. Not to mention I cannot activate the installation anymore. I *try* not to add anything specific for newer Windows versions but it might happen that I will break XP support at some point without noticing. I can't say. But at some point I will upgrade from SDL 1.2 to SDL 2.x. I assume this might eventually result in XP-incompability.
to discribe some of what im seeing from a pilots point-of-view...

its harder to get past bots, constant bumping into.
firepower doesnt 'push' the bots hardly at all.
...the bots seem to be 3 to 4x their (normal) weight.

the bot explosions happen very slowly / you get scratched by bots that clearly are no longer there.
your firepower gets blocked by these slow explosions too... cant shoot past them at all.

the ship moves like mud and is slow to get upto speed, which goes to waste anyways due to constant bot bumping.

* Windows XP activation is very easy to get around  Wink
Apart from the explosion speed I'd say it's a physics issue as I know the Retro mod changed things there. But since explosions are a simple animation, I could not say how that happens. That looks more as if the actual game timing was off. It may however be related to some other things we fixed since 0.58.1. Just in case you are eager to give more info about this: Can you find out in which version this issue started? If you haven't backupped them, I can try to get them uploaded and then you can check each and see for yourself. This might help me greatly.

About XP: It's not the only thing to activate the system but rather to find drivers for it. My mainboard for example does not have XP drivers anymore. And let's be real about it: Rebirth is designed to run on modern systems and the release of XP is closer to the original release of Descent than it is to today.

If needed, here are the links:
Code:
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.30-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.31-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.40-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.42-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.42a-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.50-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.51-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.52-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.53-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.54-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.55-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.55.1-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.56-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.57-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.57.1-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.57.2-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.57.3-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d1x-rebirth_v0.58-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.30-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.31-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.40-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.42-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.50-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.51-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.52-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.53-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.54-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.55-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.55.1-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.56-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.57-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.57.1-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.57.2-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.57.3-win.zip
www.dxx-rebirth.com/download/dxx/archive/d2x-rebirth_v0.58-win.zip
Please note I am going to delete these files again after Rook decided to test or not. I can't keep them on the server forever.
d2 plays fine, its only d1.

ive tested 0573 already, ill go all the way back to 0.30 and start from there.
I'll put a closer eye to D1 then. Really strange. Especially since both engines are really very similar in physics and such - even more in the current unification branch. If it's really just D1, you can also simply extract the versions in different folders so you can make sure it's not something in your configuration - even tho I would also love to know what kind of setting might cause that. But it's a start I think. If this turns out to be nothing more than an obscure memory leak/corruption thingie which ends up explaining the hulk problems, boss freeze and premature triggers at the same time, I think I'll go insane. Smile
But seriously: The more obscure such things get, often the reason behind them are just as insane and random as their effects.
(06-24-2014, 10:53 PM)zico link Wrote:If this turns out to be nothing more than an obscure memory leak/corruption thingie which ends up explaining the hulk problems, boss freeze and premature triggers at the same time, I think I'll go insane. Smile
in level01...

D1X.exe uses 7-10mb of system memory (it varies)
Descent uses 120-130mb of system memory
Descent uses 30mb graphic memory

seems a bit excessive for a 13mb game.
OPEN GL IS AT FAULT!!  UPDATE YOUR GRAPHICS DRIVERS!!

i was confused as ever when my Intel HD 4600 couldnt run descent normally and when i switched the game to run on the optimus GT755M in my laptop it worked just fine.

thats when i got the idea to check for OpenGL versions.  my Nvidia driver has 4.3 and the old Intel Driver has 4.0!  im going to see if the new intel driver fixes the random stuttering issues.

EDIT:

after the update, its now version 4.2.  and the vsync option now does nothing, just chills at 200 fps unless i force on in my intel settings.  but atleast theres no more strange stuttering.  i even tried disabling my GT 755M in the bios after driver sweeping and then reinstalled the new intel driver.

BTW both my desktops run it perfect and the vsync option functions properly.  one with a HD 5770 and the other a GTX 570.  they both have win 7 64bit.
System IVAN rev 2.0 - Win 7 64bit
Intel i7-3770 4.10 Ghz || EVGA GTX 970 || GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || Creative Sound Blaster Z || EVGA Supernova P2 850W || Enermax Fulmo Basic

Control Scheme: KEYBOARD DEFAULTS FTW!!