Zico's development blog 4
(01-03-2015, 04:55 AM)Kp link Wrote:I have nowhere to post release candidates, and neither of you specified what platform you want the build to run on.  It'd be easier if you build what you need.
Several posts above yours - we were talking about windows - about the fact it didn't compile and you claimed that it's fixed now - congrats btw.

I would be happy to compile myself, but I would have to prepare environment for compiling which is a lot of work - I'm not programming in C myself, I don't have setup ready and I'm not willing to do it just for one program (Minidev was nice thing until it stopped working due unification changes, c++ requirements etc. - to make it easier for you, but at the same time harder for the rest of us - as we can see now considering current situation)

So ... that is how it looks like:
- you say that it will be ready after testing
- we are willing to test but we have no easy (for us) way  to compile it
This is situation without solution - like snake trying to eat its own tail.  :Smile
Although I can test compiling it for Windows, I have nowhere to put it once it is built.  That is part of why I want you to compile it yourselves.  Zico may be able to build and host a pre-release for you if you ask nicely. Smile
Oh well... to be honest, I was curious about fixes and general performance with c++ build and now I'm slowly losing interest.
Majority of games is played now on Drakona's RETRO build (fixed and actively developed), and she has good support and no problems with test builds... so I don't have to 'ask nicely' again - we were asking (me and Blarget) already.
thx
(01-04-2015, 02:03 AM)aqqman link Wrote:Oh well... to be honest, I was curious about fixes and general performance with c++ build and now I'm slowly losing interest.
Majority of games is played now on Drakona's RETRO build (fixed and actively developed), and she has good support and no problems with test builds... so I don't have to 'ask nicely' again - we were asking (me and Blarget) already.
thx

I would not have said it that harshly but yeah, I mostly agree. Right now there is no incentive to actively search out a build as we already have something working nearly perfectly.
You were asking in a general thread, which seems to have just the three of us reading it.  I cannot say for sure without seeing Drakona's source history, but I believe it fair to say that the main Rebirth code is far more actively maintained and developed than her build.  It's a shame no one wants to use it.
(01-04-2015, 04:58 AM)Kp link Wrote:You were asking in a general thread, which seems to have just the three of us reading it.
Hey, it's Zico's development blog 4 thread, which seems to be most appropriate place.

Quote: I cannot say for sure without seeing Drakona's source history, but I believe it fair to say that the main Rebirth code is far more actively maintained and developed than her build. 
You are joking now.
Without seeing Drakona's source history everyone seems to enjoy what she did so far. This is RETRO game tracker, you can see for yourself how often people play compared to vanilla rebirth: http://retro-tracker.game-server.cc/
How actively rebirth is developed - it may look different depending on point of view  - from rebirth dev point of view it may look like that, but from the community(players) point of view rebirth team didn't release anything for over a year and during the same time period retro was released few times plus several test builds (all binaries) plus anyone can use good old minidev to compile it.

Quote: It's a shame no one wants to use it.
It is, fix the bugs and release something then maybe someone will.

I swear, reading what Aqqman responds with always seems harsh, but maybe that's just a culture barrier. I don't know (or maybe he is legitimately frustrated with the situation, or something).

(01-04-2015, 04:58 AM)Kp link Wrote:You were asking in a general thread, which seems to have just the three of us reading it.  I cannot say for sure without seeing Drakona's source history, but I believe it fair to say that the main Rebirth code is far more actively maintained and developed than her build.  It's a shame no one wants to use it.

Anyway, We thought this was the best place to talk about it. It is Zico's development thread after all. I can assure you that Drakona's Build is actively Developed, and actively tested. She makes Dev-builds frequently with changes where the community discusses what works and what does not. We would LOVE to test the main Rebirth branch and see how it stacks up. But a lot of us just can't build the code because making a build environment for it seems too much of a task to ask the community to do for you. I feel its the responsibility of the developer himself to supply builds for the community to test or at least an easy way to build our own executables, because right now that is almost impossible.

And again, since Drakona has something near faultless already with objectively better net-code than 58.1, there really is no incentive to actively try to make our own builds in the 1st place. Until you supply something easy to test, it just will not happen.

Sorry if this is not the response you wanted, But I am fairly certain the position I have laid out here is the same as the majority of the active community.
(01-04-2015, 01:37 AM)Kp link Wrote:Although I can test compiling it for Windows, I have nowhere to put it once it is built.
Mediafire works. You can even put it somewhere just temporarily and I'm sure others will gladly mirror it.
(01-05-2015, 06:44 PM)Blarget2 link Wrote:I swear, reading what Aqqman responds with always seems harsh, but maybe that's just a culture barrier. I don't know (or maybe he is legitimately frustrated with the situation, or something).
No no no... it's just me, frustrated a bit - yes. As for main rebirth project - I would give it up since we have Drakona around with her good work and nice attitude. But I wasn't convinced about all that p2p stuff and after testing it for a while I realized that it's far from perfect. For comparison - when having a host with very good and stable connection, it is better to use 58.1 netcode than retro, especially with 5+ players. Retro is also demanding in terms of connection - in vanilla rebirth, all we needed was one player with opened ports and stable connection (not damned wifi for example) to be able to host good quality game, in retro everyone needs reliable connection to handle multiple 'udp channels' - to every person in the game.
Drakona is aware of that and she is working on the fix - test binary should come out soon.
Once zico mentioned 'hybrid type connection' for next release - I would really like to test that plus number of fixes and improvements made by KP (those are famous but still we have only heard/read about it so far)

As for publishing test build - put it on dropbox, use services like mediafire, heck... send it to someone by email who has ability to publish it somewhere (I can do it, I bet zico can as well - he is still alive and receiving email I guess), but please, stop using those silly excuses.
(01-05-2015, 10:50 PM)aqqman link Wrote:it is better to use 58.1 netcode than retro, especially with 5+ players. Retro is also demanding in terms of connection - in vanilla rebirth, all we needed was one player with opened ports and stable connection (not damned wifi for example) to be able to host good quality game, in retro everyone needs reliable connection to handle multiple 'udp channels' - to every person in the game.
Drakona is aware of that and she is working on the fix - test binary should come out soon.
Once zico mentioned 'hybrid type connection' for next release - I would really like to test that plus number of fixes and improvements made by KP (those are famous but still we have only heard/read about it so far)

As for publishing test build - put it on dropbox, use services like mediafire, heck... send it to someone by email who has ability to publish it somewhere (I can do it, I bet zico can as well - he is still alive and receiving email I guess), but please, stop using those silly excuses.

Yes, client server might use less bandwidth, but Id rather have less latency overall. If everyone has a good connection, p2p is better.