Zico's development blog 4
MinGW uses the free gcc compiler. So a MinGW version with gcc 4.5 or higher works. Also on Windows.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Of course it does but without C++0x support.
Hm but GCC should perform the same on all platforms. As it stands, I gotta set up an updated MinGW soon, so I'll see if it compiles or not. If not, we gotta make it compile.
I came across some mingw compiled with C++0x support unfortunately it was only for x64 so I couldn't use it.
Quote:GCC should perform the same on all platforms
It's brave assumption, mingw is a port, not GCC itself in pure form.
I am not aware of any of the patches or changes they applied. But IF we did something, that breaks MinGW, we have to change it back. Period.
Visual Studio 2013 isn't supported, so it being non-free does not affect my statement that "we only support free compilers."  In fact, you could (and should) read the second comment of "I looked at supporting" as an extension of the idea that we might at some point support non-free compilers.  However, its lack of good support for C++11 (formerly C++0x) makes that not worth my time right now.  (Though if someone wanted to submit a pull request that added VS2013 support without disrupting the regular code, I would consider it.)  GCC is not just a Linux compiler.  It can run on, and build code for, a variety of platforms.

I believe at this point some C++0x support is mandatory to parse the code on the unification branch.  I have however taken care to avoid C++0x features that are (1) only available in very new compilers and (2) impractical to emulate via Boost.  Whenever you speak of compilers, you need to distinguish between a compiler built using a technology and a compiler that can build things that use that technology.  To build unification, you must have a compiler that can build code which uses C++0x features.  There are supported versions of gcc that are themselves written in pure C, so obviously they cannot be built using C++0x -- but they still compile C++0x-using code correctly.

I just tried a mingw build and it failed in a few places.  None of those look like platform conformance problems with the underlying compiler.  Instead, it is just places where Windows works a bit differently and the code needs to be modified to handle it.

2 format string mismatches
1 failure to match a function in menu.cpp
1 ambiguous overload in the render code
2 type mismatches because Windows sendto/recvfrom take the wrong type for their buffer - easily fixed with a cast
1 improper type selection in state.cpp
That actually doesn't look so bad. On the contrary. I wonder if we uncover and eradicate a few strange glitches this way.
Fixed ambiguous overload: d0b3d9e Force desired conversion in render_object_search
Fixed improper type selection: d35b021 Fix misspelled C++ guard in loadgl.h
Fixed failure to match in menu.cpp: 11cbbf6 Fix Win32 newmenu_do build failure
Fixed Windows networking: 78559cd Cast network buffers for compatibility with Win32 prototype
Fixed format string mismatches: a301eb9 Cast fix64->unsigned long in HUD

With these changes, the Windows build now completes for me.
Great! Thank you, now at least we have confirmation that it compiles on windows.
So it has become a sad running gag for me to say that I had lots of stuff to do, not much time but getting back to DXX-Rebirth as soon as possible.

And it never happens. And you are right be being a bit angry. This project has always been a hobby to me and I never realized how lucky I was to actually have time to dedicate to it.

But quite a few of you still come here and haven't abandon it, yet. This is so awesome and I like to thank you for this. I really got some awesome fans out there and there is nothing I could say to pay this respect. Just: Thank you - you guys are GREAT!

Now of course even tho I was not available, the work went on. There are now quite few developers on the project - most importantly kp taking care of a LOT of the internals of the engine and Matt who's tirelessly working on the new tracker.

And now I try to get myself back in the mix again as well. I did some smaller things in the past weeks - mostly on the physics and it's coming along slowly but steadily (many thanks to Trent Hawkins helping me here). And I know: I repeat myself again.

I must be honest with you as I must be honest with me: Not having much time doesn't mean I have no time at all. I surely could invest some time in front of the keyboard but it has always also been a thing of motivation. Which was on an all day low. There's no point in denying that. If I don't have any FUN in programming, there won't be and real progress from me anyways.

But seeing you guys still lurking in the forums now put a smile on my face as I really expected some kind of a wasteland here. And it's not. This and my recent contacts with a certain Indie developer I think now got me moving again.

So lets see if I can do that.

Now I am perfectly aware this wasn't the most ... professional post. Let's say it like it is: I am merely human. And I see no point in not being honest about that. I DO hope you understand my reasoning a little bit. If not, that is fine. But if you do: THANK YOU! YOU ARE AWESOME. Smile

[Image: anewhope.png]