Homers prove something
whenever shooting a homer down a tunnel that bears slightly to one side with a bot at the far end, the homer always hits the inside wall.

this means the homer is getting a lock BEFORE it actually has a clear view of the bot.
this also ties in with 'bots see you before you see them' and 'bots can shoot around corners before seeing you'.

im not saying this is a DXX issue, im just sayin Wink
I've been playing single player recently, and I also noticed this. And the robots often making noise before they can see me.
There is a lot of different factors that can wake up bots. Like firing. To see if something specific might be a bug or not, a specific situation, Savegame or such would be cool. Then I can see if we deal with a bug or normal AI behaviors. Same with the homers.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
this is all normal behavior, its always been this way.

im just pointing it out Wink
Yeah I remember a similar homer behaviour when I played the game on DOS. Sometimes you could pretty much pinpoint the robot location behind the wall by just observing where the homer collided with it. Tho I suspect this effect might change slightly and if, closer to the original DOS behaviour since the new homers are more DOS-Version-accurate.

As for waking up bots, that really depends. But as for a general rule, if you can "hear" a bot waking up, it's entirely possible that you are close enough so that certain actions of yourself, will attract the AI. There are so many different way on how you can get the attention of bots - some are probably a bit far fetched in terms of how they are done technically and I can certainly not remember all from the top of my head. So if someone is in doubt, just send me a Savegame where I can reproduce it and then compare to the DOS version to see if it matches up.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!