D1 & the SDL_mixer
yes i am complaining about this again  Sad

D1 sounds like ass with the SDL_mixer enabled, D2 sounds fine.
D1 needs 22k files, even if they arent of perfect upscaled quality.

SDL_mixer just plain sux using 11k files  :-[

all we need is the files in raw format, the 'Sounds' folder is already enabled for use.

PLEASE!  Tongue
What exactly do you want us to do?  Are you looking for some code change to the core program?  Are you asking that someone provide instructions on how to resample the sounds?  I doubt we can post resampled files for you, since those would be a derivative of the original sound files, which are not freely distributable at this time.
(05-25-2014, 05:04 PM)Kp link Wrote: What exactly do you want us to do?  Are you looking for some code change to the core program?  Are you asking that someone provide instructions on how to resample the sounds?  I doubt we can post resampled files for you, since those would be a derivative of the original sound files, which are not freely distributable at this time.

Depends on the sounds, everything in the shareware release is free to distribute.
(05-25-2014, 05:04 PM)Kp link Wrote: What exactly do you want us to do?
a 22k sound pack in RAW format, same as the MAC sfx patch but in 22k.
...and the ability for D1X to process 22k thru SDL_mixer. (assuming it currently cant)

they dont have to be perfectly upscaled, as long as they are in 22k they will sound better thru the SDL_mixer.
The upsampling method Rebirth uses for both D1X and D2X I don't know if we can change or improve on these (horrible grammar). Personally I like how it sounds but I understand it's something personal - especially since it sounds different than the original game. The reason it upscales in the first place is to allow playing music with the same sampling rate (44Khz). That's a necessity if you wanna play MP3/OGG files. If you don't need this however, I'd suggest you simply disable SDL_mixer in the INI and go on  with that. This gives the most original sound feeling. Other than that I can only see and check *if* we can do something about the way how SDL_mixer upsamples the sound effects.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
^ yes, thats what i do.

typically i disable the sdl_mixer and use the hmp soundtrack.
but if want to use an ogg soundtrack i need to enable the sdl_mixer and deal with the bad sfx Sad

this is only with D1, D2 sounds perfectly fine with sdl_mixer enabled.
Yes, D2 sounds less bad or different since it only needs to upscale from 22 to 44Khz.
As it stands now the conversion is done via an SDL function and as much as I know about it, there isn't much of options or flexibility. It's possible that I can write something on my own or maybe even SDL2 provides different mechanics. It's hard to say unless I try it for myself. Which is why I can only recommend you to disable SDL_mixer for now.
The reason why I didn't do for now is that I actually like how the D1 sounds turned out scaled up. In fact I think they are less "muffled" and even closer to how the D2 sounds are. Again, this is just my impression but the reason I have not worked on this, yet. And the question of "how" exactly another upscaling method would sound is of course also uncertain.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
yes, exactly. thats why i ask for D1 22k addon, to bring it up to D2 standards.

testing this with D2...
switching between sound11k and sound22k with and without sdl_mixer enabled provides the same distorted muffled muddy results. (with sound11k sdl_mixer on that is)
i have confirmed that the 'muddy distortion' is due to the SoundBlaster Live soundcard. (XP drivers) the 11k upscalling just isnt playing well with that card at all.

tested using an Ensoniq AudioPCI (SB12Cool, and while the upscalling still sounds like 'spacialization' to me the mud and distortion are gone.