[D1X Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit] Game looks in wrong place for custom level's rld
Hello there,

I'm trying to play the mad decorator custom map that came with my Descent disc, but it appears to be looking in the root mission directory instead of the subdirectory that i put it in for its rdl.

I got D1X-rebirth off one of the official Ubuntu repositories and its version 0.58.1

Steps for recreation:

1. Head over to Pooterman's

2. Click "Browse Descent 1 Levels"

3.  Download "mad.zip"

4. Navigate to ~/.d1x-rebirth/missions/

5. Create a folder called "newlevel"

6. Extract mad.zip into newlevel

7. Open d1x-rebirth

8. Select "new game"

9. Select "Mad Decorator"

10. Select any difficulty

11. The game will now close out.

It left "Error: Can't open file <missions/mad.rdl>" in the terminal before it exited. Here's the full log in case it helps

Code:
jayman@jayman-P55A-UD3:~/.d1x-rebirth/missions/newlevel$ d1x-rebirth

Type d1x-rebirth -help' for a list of command-line options.

D1X-Rebirth v0.58.1  Oct 23 2013 06:50:41
This is a MODIFIED version of Descent, based on Registered v1.5 Jan 5, 1996.
Copyright (C) 1994, 1995 Parallax Software Corporation
DESCENT is a trademark of Interplay Productions, Inc.
Copyright (C) 2005-2011 Christian Beckhaeuser

Using SDL_mixer library
sdl-joystick: found 1 joysticks
sdl-joystick 0: Generic X-Box pad
sdl-joystick: 6 axes
sdl-joystick: 11 buttons
sdl-joystick: 1 hats
sdl-joystick: 6 axes (total)
sdl-joystick: 15 buttons (total)

Error: Can't open file <missions/mad.rdl>

jayman@jayman-P55A-UD3:~/.d1x-rebirth/missions/newlevel$

I have also found that it works fine if you put mad.rdl or the full mad.zip in the root mission directory.

This does not happen with any other mission (that i know of).

All of what i said applys to both Descent I and II: The Definitive Collection's and Pooterman's version of Mad Decorator.

UPDATE: It appears that the same bug effects Retribution base (both the 1.0 and 1.1 versions). They can be found as retrib10.zip and retrib11.zip on Pooterman's

UPDATE #2: Also effects The Newest Threat. (newest.zip on Pooterman's)
level files (hog/rdl/msn) go into your missions folder... no sub-folders.
(05-03-2014, 06:07 PM)ThugsRook link Wrote: level files (hog/rdl/msn) go into your missions folder... no sub-folders.
In the DOS version of Descent 2 you would be correct, but I remember reading somewhere that DXX-rebirth supports subfolders too, and besides it works fine when i put other missions into that folder.
Please post the output of find ~/.d1x-rebirth/missions/ -ls while you have both a working and broken mission installed.
(05-03-2014, 06:18 PM)Jayman link Wrote: [...] I remember reading somewhere that DXX-rebirth supports subfolders too [...]

Yeah ... The DXX-Rebirth readme files say this:

Code:
   Missions:
   ---------
   Those can be found on several websites. Add them to the game by copying them to subdirectory
   ‘missions/’. They can also go in subdirectories of 'missions/', unlike with the original version.

And for the most part, putting mission files in subdirectories of "missions" works fine. But when you do that with missions that have level files (.rdl or .rl2) that aren't contained in a .hog file, the game will seek the level file in the root of "missions" and crash when it fails to find it. When I asked about this a while back, zico said that subdirectories weren't fully supported yet.

This happens in both D1XR and D2XR, both Linux and Windows (and probably OS X, but I can't test that).
(05-03-2014, 10:00 PM)Kp link Wrote: Please post the output of find ~/.d1x-rebirth/missions/ -ls while you have both a working and broken mission installed.
Code:
41418805    4 drwxrwxr-x   3 jayman   jayman       4096 May  4 07:50 /home/jayman/.d1x-rebirth/missions/
41812741    4 drwxrwxr-x   2 jayman   jayman       4096 May  4 07:50 /home/jayman/.d1x-rebirth/missions/newlevel
41813312    4 -rw-rw-r--   1 jayman   jayman         67 Feb 10  1996 /home/jayman/.d1x-rebirth/missions/newlevel/comdelux.msn
41813313    4 -rw-rw-r--   1 jayman   jayman         83 Oct 29  1995 /home/jayman/.d1x-rebirth/missions/newlevel/MAD.MSN
41813311   76 -rw-rw-r--   1 jayman   jayman      76864 Feb 10  1996 /home/jayman/.d1x-rebirth/missions/newlevel/comdelux.hog
41813314  116 -rw-rw-r--   1 jayman   jayman     116485 Oct 29  1995 /home/jayman/.d1x-rebirth/missions/newlevel/MAD.RDL

I also tried changing the casing and that does nothing (ie rebirth will run MaD.MSn and MAd.rDL if their in /missions/)

(05-03-2014, 11:11 PM)Ryusei117 link Wrote: [quote author=Jayman link=topic=1880.msg20147#msg20147 date=1399141117]
[...] I remember reading somewhere that DXX-rebirth supports subfolders too [...]

Yeah ... The DXX-Rebirth readme files say this:

Code:
   Missions:
   ---------
   Those can be found on several websites. Add them to the game by copying them to subdirectory
   ‘missions/’. They can also go in subdirectories of 'missions/', unlike with the original version.

And for the most part, putting mission files in subdirectories of "missions" works fine. But when you do that with missions that have level files (.rdl or .rl2) that aren't contained in a .hog file, the game will seek the level file in the root of "missions" and crash when it fails to find it. When I asked about this a while back, zico said that subdirectories weren't fully supported yet.

This happens in both D1XR and D2XR, both Linux and Windows (and probably OS X, but I can't test that).
[/quote]

Took a quick look at a couple of the missions and it looks like you where right.

Thanks.
trying to run a NEWLEVEL dir (and LOTW dir) has been tried before, and no it doesnt work.
If anything, subdirectories only work with HOG files, that's right. I have to expand the readme for this as I currently have no plans in pushing subdirectory support further (since the game makes no difference between directories in the mission screen I feel it's currently not worth the time).
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!