[D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter.
Yeah this may be true. But speaking of which - Movies have an extra option for Filtering, which is usually turned off. I did that since some configurations I've seen have issues generating the Mipmaps in time. So does the shutter on doors go away if Texture Filerting is off (turned to CLASSIC), or does that not do anything? If it helps, then this is most definately related to caching - as the door textures probably genrate new mipmaps all the time. And that would most deifnitely be the easiest thing to fix. Smile
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
I think that's it. I play D1 with filtering off and don't see it happening there.
(03-30-2014, 06:08 PM)zico link Wrote: Yeah this may be true. But speaking of which - Movies have an extra option for Filtering, which is usually turned off. I did that since some configurations I've seen have issues generating the Mipmaps in time. So does the shutter on doors go away if Texture Filerting is off (turned to CLASSIC), or does that not do anything? If it helps, then this is most definately related to caching - as the door textures probably genrate new mipmaps all the time. And that would most deifnitely be the easiest thing to fix. Smile

Just tried it classic.  No stuttering.
now that ive looked into it a bit more...

every single animation in the game is causing a "micro-stutter" with vsync on. break or pickup all the animations in the room and it smooths out completely.

correction ~ the stutter is actually worse with vsync off, so never mind  Tongue
Then it's settled: the mipmap generation it is. That won't be a big of a deal I suppose..
Thanks y'all for helping.
^ looking forward to this repair. now that ive seen it its bugging the hell outta me!  :o

might be of importance:

75hz plays the animations alot smoother then 60hz. that obviously should go w/o saying, but you mentioned the mipmaps may not be generated in proper time, 75hz gives it more time?
Well it's sorta like this: The more time you have between frames, the less this effect might be visible. So in very high FPS it should be much less noticable than in lower FPS ranges. But then again I am not even sure if "time" is actually of the essence here as mipmap generation is usually extremely fast - especially on textures this small. I don't claim to be a total expert on OpenGL but as it may be, fixing this is only a matte rof completing the caching implementation. It's really not that big of a deal and if there is no "hidden problem with that" I see no problem in implementing this into the BETA. (yes, I know I talk A LOT about that BETA and it's taking long and believe it or not, there is actually a reason for that I still cannot say much about but I hope I can in the next 10 days)
Zico ~ I FOUND SOMETHING!

Descent does not engage CPU upclocking. (speedstep)
my 1.6ghz cpu runs D1/D2 @ only 1.2ghz, it does not engage the CPU to run the higher clock.

(WXP32/nVidia)
Well this is probably because DXX does not use enough of your CPU cycles to cause the clock speed to go up. This whoel process is usually done by your system. If an appication uses a specific percentage of your CPU, it will step up.