[D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter.
What's going on with the engine currently?

(and what happened to your regular nerves?)
thats gotta be either a driver or win7 problem.

optimize the game for 60fps and force vsync for everyone! Wink

vsync is smooth as silk for me, i wouldnt bother to play w/o it.
(03-24-2014, 09:01 PM)ThugsRook link Wrote: optimize the game for 60fps and force vsync for everyone! Wink

Except some people now have 120 Hz monitors. Also, vsync causes a slight input delay that cripples precise aim, which makes it undesirable for many competitive players. Though I admit that the vsync input delay in OpenGL games like DXX-Rebirth is far less problematic than in DirectX games ...
(03-24-2014, 09:01 PM)ThugsRook link Wrote: thats gotta be either a driver or win7 problem.

optimize the game for 60fps and force vsync for everyone! Wink

vsync is smooth as silk for me, i wouldnt bother to play w/o it.

wow that would render the game unplayable for me at least  Wink
erm.. I shouldn't be posting here actually  - Im still on winXP 32 bit  Tongue
Don't get me wrong guys, I think VSync and shuttering might actually be two separate issues. Like I pointed out the "trigger" I use for activating VSync is - as far as I can recall obsolete. This has to be reworked and in fact there are OS dependent solutions for this which are rather recommended. So if you have a 120Hz monitor, the game should go up to 120 FPS, not 60.
Whatever causes the shuttering might be related to VSync (or how it operates) but it's most likely kinda different issue altogether.

If Windows XP in itself might be an issue - I don't think so. It might become one when we switch over to SDL2 - assuming that SDL2 will drop XP support in the future - which is something I have to consider as the support for XP runs out. So it's a legitimate step that the SDL team might get rid of XP related code. We'll see how it's going on from there.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
i use WXP32 too. the only stuttering i ever see is if i use the 4x FSAA option, which i dont normally use.

drop XP support an im off the wagon  >Sad
As an experiment I copied my descent folder to a Win7 VM (parallels) running on a MacBook.  There was no stuttering.  So same executable, different result.  Its very possible this might be a driver issue or something similar.
It has some opengl issue, software builds used to work just fine, even linux build worked fine with the same hardware -  ditched It due 60fps cap a while ago and new distribution doesn't provide proper driver so I'm stuck kind of - but there was no stuttering back then.
It's quite possibly in the OpenGL code itself. I think I mentioned somehwere that the caching for animated textures isn't properly implemented. Now WHY this is a problem - I have no idea as the movies of D2 basically are working similar from a technical standpoint. And not to mention these textures are much larger than normal game textures. So yeah it's not an issue to fix that - it's rather intruiging why this is an issue at all.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
(03-26-2014, 03:29 PM)zico link Wrote: It's quite possibly in the OpenGL code itself. I think I mentioned somehwere that the caching for animated textures isn't properly implemented. Now WHY this is a problem - I have no idea as the movies of D2 basically are working similar from a technical standpoint. And not to mention these textures are much larger than normal game textures. So yeah it's not an issue to fix that - it's rather intruiging why this is an issue at all.

Its possible that the movies do suffer the same issue, but you won't see it during a movie playback.  As a previous poster pointed out.  The textures themselves animate fine.  The game simply stops as it tries to load each frame.  During a movie playback there might be a micro delay as it loads each frame... but since you aren't flying a ship around and the delay would likely be the same for each frame (resulting in a constant framerate)... it would not be noticeable.