How I found my way to rebirth
My story is much like many here. My first experience with gaming came from some cousins, who played such classics as Wolf3D, Stunts, and- you guessed it, Descent. Back then it came on 7 floppy discs, and when I finally got my hands on it I had to mess with virtual memory just to make it run. It didn't really run well, but I played anyway. I even played a cousin a few times in the glory days of 28k modems, despite him being a far better player.

I've played Descent off and on ever since, and as computers got better, I stuck with a Win2k Pro system. Finally lost that system, and when my next urge to play hit, I found D1X. This most recent urge found me curious about improvements, so I went searching and found Rebirth.

The only other game to keep me coming back for more over the years has been Star Wars: Rebellion.
"O be wise; what can I say more?" -Jacob 6:12
"What we do in life echoes in eternity." -Maximus Decimus Meridius
Quote:The only other game to keep me coming back for more over the years has been Star Wars: Rebellion.

On a related side-note, such a game it seems I will always come back inexhaustibly is UnreaL, the very first (without RTN exp.). Heh, not wise to admit that in a Descent forum, but Descent comes right second to UnreaL... Smile (but second is still ultra-high ain't it? Tongue)
Descent Rangers
Captain of Black Lions squadron

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
Quote:
(06-18-2011, 12:24 AM)Xan Wrote: The only other game to keep me coming back for more over the years has been Star Wars: Rebellion.

On a related side-note, such a game it seems I will always come back inexhaustibly is UnreaL, the very first (without RTN exp.). Heh, not wise to admit that in a Descent forum, but Descent comes right second to UnreaL... Smile (but second is still ultra-high ain't it? Tongue)

You know, this could be an interesting side-shoot conversation. I'll make a separate thread for it.
"O be wise; what can I say more?" -Jacob 6:12
"What we do in life echoes in eternity." -Maximus Decimus Meridius
Hi there, guys and dolls Wink
I found my way here by pure accident, and what a happy event it was, too! I found one of the first "true, 3d" format games I'd ever come across, and what was better, in a DOS enviornment! To find out, after all this time, that there were a base of dedicated fans out there who actually took the time to code this into the new spec pc's is to me, phenomal. I am truly in well, not awe, but in 'You guys rock' kinda mindset. Awwwe-yea is what I reseve for the graphics! Words can't yet describe how I find seeing those blocky orange triangles manifest into moving rotational, killable tatrgets! Coming close would be' Target Aquired!' hehe.
I love what you lovely fans have done for this old Gold classic, and wish you well for the future, and keep up the great work!
on a by-note, any chance of importing original d1 savegames? I just cleared level 8, and it was a bitch! Wink
To re-iterate, mucho gracias, amigos Wink
Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life Wink
(Correct me if I'm wrong zico, but) I think original savegames should work just fine in Rebirth. Just copy the player files, and the savegame files to you Rebirth directory.

Actually you could use the installer, which does it all for you...you can get it here: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/frm/index.php...034.0.html Smile
@AFP,
Yes the Savegames can be used in Rebirth just fine.

@MegaByteMe
Welcome to the Community!
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Thanks for the info guys.
I've just been playing it from the beginning, and I'm allready at level 4, so I might as well keep going Wink
At some point, I'm going to try one of the user-made maps, just to see what people have come up with.
Any suggestions for a particular map?
Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life Wink
I was youtube'ing Descent in a moment of nostalgia, and saw a link to DXX rebirth.  I've since reinstalled and actually played a couple games. It's been about 15 years since I played this game and it still rocks.  Thanks for all this.

My only complaint is that the few public games that get hosted out there are typically closed/restricted.

This post belongs here... Smile
Descent Rangers
Captain of Black Lions squadron

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
Hawk, could you post the Ranger info so this guy can get into some games with us? Smile