How I found my way to rebirth
trackmania? not me, and Im only 59-dont rush me

if you find me elsewhere will probably be automotive, diesel
after smashing my knuckles working on the car I like some fun. Crysis requires thinking, and desent is just shoot em up fun.
My story is somewhat funny. The second time I installed D2X-XL on this computer (after a crash) it wasn't working, so the only Descent I could play was D3. I did a lot of TrackMania then. Then, after watching a youtube video, I got an insane urge to kill a BPer bot (from Baloris Prime in D2). I don't know why it was that bot in particular, (I must have gone crazy for a short time, it's happened before). So, I installed D2X-Rebirth using the files from my XL install, and managed to get it working (it had never worked for me before). I beat D2 Counterstrike, from start to finish, before that day was over Tongue.

I use Rebirth when I'm feeling nostalgic, or if I'm building a level for standard D2 instead of XL, I use Rebirth for testing, as XL can somehow ignore many of the bugs that crash rebirth (no offense zico). I make sure the level works in both ports this way. I don't really think I have to worry about Dos D2 though.

The eyes of the plush lobster stared deep into my soul. I touched it, made as if to pick it up, and then I became a panther.

---------------------------------------------------
Check out my music @ Vertigo Fox
Quote: (no offense zico).
it usually isn't his fault :P
If there are bugs which ar enot caused by an extended level format I am also eager to fix them - don't get me wrong. ^^
Gosh I do not know why people even play my program when I think about how many flaws still are in there.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Quote:Gosh I do not know why people even play my program when I think about how many flaws still are in there.

For the same reason we're all here, as part of this community...
Gib mir Benzin!
For me it started about 15 years ago when I came across a copy of Destination Saturn. Had no idea what it was, just decided to check it out. I was hooked on it almost immediately. Several months later I found Descent: The Definitive Collection for $20 at a software store. It included D1, D2 and Levels of the World. After that I downloaded every level set for D1 that I could find. I have probably spent 1000s of hours playing this game. Even kept an old 450MHz AMD K2 w/ Voodoo2 running Win98 for a very long time just to keep playing D1. It finally died about 2 years ago and I figured my Descent playing days were over. Very happy to see that I was wrong about that.
I found my way here because Karx11erx/D2X-XL refused to help me set his mod up because I dared to compare his mod to what he calls "Stillbirth".

Funny that Rebirth runs seamlessly, and his gets 0.16 fps. I guess the proof is in the pudding as to which one is actually better.
Quote:... Karx11erx/D2X-XL refused to help me set his mod up because I dared to compare his mod to what he calls "Stillbirth".

ShockedShockedShocked

Are you kidding me? That's the last time I ever use D2X-XL. Geez!

... Oh, wait--better make sure I'm on topic. Cheesy The way I found DXX-R was via YouTube, when one day, feeling nostalgic, I decided to see if I could find any gameplay videos of my favorite game series from my childhood. Of course, I got much more than I expected. Some dudes in one of the videos' comments page were talking about a source port that could play Descent on modern operating systems. I followed the link, and here I am! Big Grin
Google[Descent] looking for a modern port. The same search like a coupla years ago lead me to D2X-XL, which I didn't like from the start. DXX-R on the other hand, is exactly what I was lookin' for: porting to modern machines, improving, and at the same time, conveying the concept. So yeah, nostalgia in 2011 did it for me. Smile
Descent Rangers
Captain of Black Lions squadron

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
DXX-Rebirth runs great IceWolf and I ran a beta test run with the latest build and it ran dead stable Smile

IceWolf even left the game and rejoined without issues of lost packets ! This is very good news I must conclude Smile

we used UK game on the Mumble server btw for communications Smile thx for this AFP !

we played Giga Death II and til 41 kills lol. IceWolf won with 41 kills I had 37 Smile