vsync
(07-15-2014, 05:13 AM)Daedalus link Wrote:one more thing, Flang, does turning on 4x multisampling or the anisotropic setting improve anything?  that would add lots of load on your CPU and might keep things stable.  and turn on some enhancements on in your Nvidia CP for that program, like antialiasing to add load on the GPU.

So now would be a good time to try and clear up some of my confusion around the many AA options in the control panel. Specifically, what is the relationship between "Antialiasing: Setting" (2x through 32x CSAA) and "Antialiasing: Transparency" (Multisample through 8x Supersample). Do these settings conflict with one another? Which one should I be adjusting if I want to increase load on the GPU?

Also, I've noticed that when I set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x in the control panel, nVidia automatically adjusts the "Texture filtering: Anisotropic sample optimization" setting to Off and "Texture filtering: Negative LOD bias" setting to Clamp. Should I leave those be or change them back?

In any case: I tried running D1X while using 16x Anisotropic Filtering and 16xQ CSAA enabled in the control panel, as suggested. Just for the hell of it, I also ran a long-term 7zip compression in the background to try and increase load on the CPU as well. No luck. I still get a CPU core with 100% load and major stuttering in-game (unless Precision X frame rate target is enabled).
quick run down on the nvidia settings.

Ambient Occlusion: this adds atmospheric lighting to games that support it.  not many do so leave it off.
Anisotropic Filtering: makes textures clearer further away.  like if you look down a road in a game, the lane lines will blur out almost right away, with that setting at x16, its like putting glasses on to clear it up.  i have this turned on for just about every program i have, but for the global setting it should be "application controlled"
FXAA:  internally doubles or quadruples the resolution, then scales it down to match your monitor on output to achieve inefficient Antialiasing.  DO NOT USE unless the below AA options dont work.
Antialiasing(AA): softens the edges of objects.  CSAA is a more efficient way of doing it.  8x CSAA seems to be the best, any higher doesnt really help.  leave at Application-Controlled globally.
AA Transparency:  Antialiasing on see-though textures.  turn on to your liking if jagged "stair step" edges persist.
Texture Filtering: High Performance- compresses the textures to save memory at the great cost of beauty.  High Quality- displays texture in raw form, HIGHLY recommend.  your card is more then capable of handling this setting.
Threaded Optimization:  distributes processing among CPU cores to increase efficiency, leave at Auto

Power Management: set to High Performance.
System IVAN rev 2.0 - Win 7 64bit
Intel i7-3770 4.10 Ghz || EVGA GTX 970 || GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || Creative Sound Blaster Z || EVGA Supernova P2 850W || Enermax Fulmo Basic

Control Scheme: KEYBOARD DEFAULTS FTW!!
Thanks very much. That does clear things up considerably for me.

Also, regarding my specific VSync issue: After an extended play session today of DX1, it appears that even while using the Frame Rate Target option in Precision X, I still get occasional "hiccups" while playing, usually during moments of heavy activity. It's still completely playable, just not ideal compared to a typically smooth 60 FPS VSync'd image.

I updated my results above to reflect this.
if you ever want to try and turn off CPU down clocking, just restart the computer and right when you turn it on, rapidly click the DEL key until a new screen comes up.  in the upper right corner there is a button that says, Exit/Advanced Mode, click it and then the Advanced mode button.  go to the Advanced Tab and then CPU Configuration.

scroll down and find the CPU Power Management button at the bottom, click into it, and disable(click, then click DISABLE):

-Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology
-CPU C1E
-CPU C3 Report
-CPU C6 Report

*DANGER* for an extra measure, you can highlight the CPU Ratio box and hit the + button until it reaches x35, BUT NO MORE!!  any more would OVERCLOCK.  since you have an unlocked CPU, it makes this really nice and easy to do.  AUTO should take care of its self.*DANGER*

then boot and check CPU-Z and see if its running at 3.5 ghz

NOTE: this is ONLY for ASUS P8Z77 motherboards
Intel i7-3770 4.10 Ghz || EVGA GTX 970 || GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || Creative Sound Blaster Z || EVGA Supernova P2 850W || Enermax Fulmo Basic

Do I want to turn off CPU downclocking? I'll happily try this, but what effect will it have on DXX and on other games?
right now, when you run low demanding programs, such as the internet, DXX, etc, the CPU is operating at about 1ghz to save power and some heat.  this may not be sufficient to run DXX causing stuttering with Vsync on, and without vsync as i observed, the CPU is more willing to kick on.  the main benefit would be system responsiveness and the draw back would be more power consumption and slightly more heat.

its something to try, if it has no effect, then you just turn it back on without an issue.  i recommend an aftermarket cooler for your CPU, my stock one died, lucky i have a large grate on the side and a clear view in and caught it before any critical temps were reached.

(07-15-2014, 09:37 AM)Daedalus link Wrote:right now, when you run low demanding programs, such as the internet, DXX, etc, the CPU is operating at about 1ghz to save power and some heat.  this may not be sufficient to run DXX causing stuttering with Vsync on, and without vsync as i observed, the CPU is more willing to kick on.  the main benefit would be system responsiveness and the draw back would be more power consumption and slightly more heat.

its something to try, if it has no effect, then you just turn it back on without an issue.  i recommend an aftermarket cooler for your CPU, my stock one died, lucky i have a large grate on the side and a clear view in and caught it before any critical temps were reached.

That makes sense, although I would think that I would get stuttering and 100% CPU load in more games than just DXX and Stalker if that were the case. Also, I'd expect using the Frame Rate Target function of Precision X (which only alters GPU behavior) to still result in high CPU load with VSync enabled.

Still, it may be worth trying. I've got to get off to work now but I'll get on it tonight.
@ThugsRook:
Your explanation does not really help me. You say you cannot play at 60FPS because the game is slow but "forcing" it to 60FPS works. So what is the case? If you have an external program which perfectly VSyncs to 60FPS, then the game probably runs at 60FPS. You can check this with the FPS counter instead of theorizing it runs at 200FPS. Let me know what the game display. If the counter DOES display 60FPS, the game runs at 60FPS. If it displays ~200, then it runs on ~200. But please don't make this bug more complicated than it has to be just because you cannot play with tearing. I don't like it either but I am not able to find out WHAT your problem is, if you mix actual problems with personal preferences.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
(07-14-2014, 11:40 PM)Daedalus link Wrote:i found that the clocks dont go up on my old laptop with the vsync setting on casuing stuttering, but with it off, it goes up.  confirming its hardware setup, not DXXR!  also, the GFX card vsync setting usually works where DXXR setting does not.  THERE IS NO BUG!  DXXR just isnt heavy enough.

You could theoretically simulate a higher load with "-nonicefps" - tho if you enable VSync either inside the game or externally, the same issues may apply. So you would need to test this without any sort of VSync. If then -nonicefps, makes your game better - without the use of any other tools, this is something I can work with. Still not exactly sure what it may be.

Playing DXX here (also ~ 3.6Ghz CPU), it never forces the CPU to clock up. Usually your CPU should go up and stay up if the load exceeds a certain percentage. This depends on how your Power Management driver/ACPI decide to handle the situation. It's possible that the software decides to go up too late but clocks down way too early. This might explain the issue.

I can easily cause DXX to cause more load if this is required - i.e. if -nonicefps helps - even if VSync is active. Tho I am not sure this is the way how things should be handled. If it really boils down the the CPU clocking, I would say - to my best knowledge - the CPU decides to step up and down at the wrong time.

So fixing the CPU speed at either full or lowest clock *should* do the trick. If not, then clocking should not be our problem.

EDIT: In case I mentioned something here which you already tested, bear with me. It's a lot of different information and not exactly easy for me to get a "grip" on the scenario.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
is there anyway to disable CPU hypertreading in Descent? run single core only?

also,

anyway to disable mipmapping?