Clang with no bang
I think that the reason gauss shots explode right before your ship and the reason smarts hit people right in the face, even if they keep forward motion is because of the collision code modified to keep people from sticking on corners.
Why is that? Is there relation between these two things? From where did you get that idea?
I'm asking since I did came across such things yet it seemed specific for some players at least for me (regardless of their ping).

2be specific - im not accusing anyone, but considering network issues.
The hack I implemented that should prevent players from sticking into walls only affects players and robots in collision with walls. So weapon projectiles are completely unaffected by this.

But ... how exactly does the topic description fit in here? When a projectile explodes in mid-air, do you actually hear a player hit sound?

Also I would like to get a better explanation on this:
Quote:smarts hit people right in the face, even if they keep forward motion
What exactly do you mean by that? (known fact I guess: If you hit someone with a weapon with stopping power, the hit object will not immediately stop in Multiplayer. Since collisions are - like in the old days - client based, it takes time of ping till the "results" of your hit in terms of applied force are visible. Guess that's known but I thought I should bring it up.)

I only know of smarts not doing damage or don't produce blobs. Both I am still hunting. If there is a third glitch with smarts, please let me know if I missed it.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Before/after and a hunch. I could be wrong, but there has been several times I've been blasted right in the face with gauss, and took no damage and several times I've come around corners and hit people so hard in the face with a smart it causes them to stumble, with no kill. For some reason the actual explosion happens in space before actual collision. Maybe this applied somehow like in the case of brightplayer ships, I don't know. But, projectiles should not explode before actual impact of object.

EDIT: Yes, clear sound of impact. Hell, I shot one guy with a fusion and a smart, could hear both clang, then I get hit with one fusion shot and die. Definitely not a miss, just not counted as a kill.

EDIT1: I actually have that particular case on demo if you think it would help. I also wonder if the very same distance these projectiles are exploding from the ship is the very same distance ships are kept off walls.
A demo might be wonderful here. Maybe I am just getting a few things wrong here. The question is if there is actually "a projectile exploding in mid air (without any obvious reason)" or "projectile HITTING but making no damage". I assumed these were two separate issues. But it's also always important to know on which side the effect was observed - i.e. the one firing or the one being hit/supposed to be hit and if the effect is the same for both sides.

Demos are always helpful with all sorts of glitches. Especially all the hit- and weapon-related ones. Just nuke my mailbox - never hesitate. Demos are not perfectly accurate but they can reveal a few clues that might lead me to the solution of this. Cause right now there are many different leads to follow.  Assuming I haven't fixed this already in unification as I also see a chance these bugs might be symptoms of bugs we fixed some time ago. I especially look to missing segment index in long packets or even the memory corruption happening when players die.
I hope the beta will also reveal more infos on that.

(Sorry, if this all sounds a bit confusing. Bear with me, please.)
Here's a link to that demo. Around 20% and 60% seems like he takes minimal damage. You can clearly hear the contact and as far as I'm concerned a smart and fusion hit together most certainly is a kill. I found another demo where you can see smart blobs that are tracking a ship, then they just explode in mid-air. I'm not sure what I think about that one though, some kind of graphical glitch maybe.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2696...damage.zip
Thanks, I'll investigate this in the next days. You know if the "explode in midair" effect was only visible for smart blobs and maybe other homing weapons, I'd blame this on their lifetime - which runs out faster, the more these things need to turn.
I'll see when I get there. The damage should be pretty easy to calculate, too, even tho the demo doesn't save the difficulty level of the game, I should be able to see if there is collision.

But I am not so sure (just from the numbers) if a fully charged Fusion shot (maybe just one blob hit - with a little lag this is hard to make out) and a smart could produce a safe kill. But anyways - in regular playing you probably got a better feel for it - I just calculate the numbers. Still, it's clear that there is something amiss - but like I said earlier, I need to find the lead for these type of bugs. I am looking for some exotic bug and maybe in the end it turns out this is just another FPS thingie I fixed now suddenly causing less damage than everyone remembers (as an example).

To be honest I hope this bug will be automatically resolved in the next release. Considering there WAS a mistake in the long packets regarding the segment number (which is also important for physics) and a memory glitch each time a player dies (which does happen frequently in MP) I can imagine the game sometimes goes batshit crazy. We'll see this in BETA then.

I'll see I check this out tomorrow then I can draw more conclusions.

Also for all others, please always send me such demos. It's incredibly helpful for me. You also gotta realize I am not a native english speaker and sometimes - when a bug is very complex like the ones here - I fear sometimes I misunderstand the actual description of the glitch in question.

EDIT: One more question - which may have been already answered but I may have missed that: Does someone still remember when these glitches started? I can only judge by the date of the reports and comparing to which version was current back then but maybe those glitches already started before. That may lead to new leads... ugh... you know this whole topic is really not very easy for me. A strange bug and it'S very concerning it's SO HARD to track down.
So Flip, you got a nose - there was an actual bug in it after all and it seems that drakona got it  -> http://descentchampions.org/forum/viewto...?f=4&t=119
Yeah, I told her and Jinx the same thing about a month before I posted it here. Glad it's getting worked out!
Thanks for the heads-up aqqman. (Darn I had hoped I covered these bugs with the physics cap). I'll get this fixed in unification asap so it'll also appear in the first BETA.