[d1x arch linux] No Music: Module format not recognized error
I have just compiled the game from source (I just ran scons, and then execute the game from the source directory). Everything works fine, apart from the MIDI music does not work. Command line output is below. I have timidity++ installed, and the arachno soundfont. If I play a file with "timidity file.mid" on the command line, it plays the music with the right soundfont. I installed the files from the GoG installer, which I ran under wine. Thank You in advance.

Jacob
Code:
D1X-Rebirth v0.58.1  Dec 14 2013 14:02:57
This is a MODIFIED version of Descent, based on Registered v1.5 Jan 5, 1996.
Copyright (C) 1994, 1995 Parallax Software Corporation
DESCENT is a trademark of Interplay Productions, Inc.
Copyright (C) 2005-2011 Christian Beckhaeuser

Using SDL_mixer library
sdl-joystick: found 1 joysticks
sdl-joystick 0: USB Gamepad
sdl-joystick: 5 axes
sdl-joystick: 12 buttons
sdl-joystick: 1 hats
sdl-joystick: 5 axes (total)
sdl-joystick: 16 buttons (total)
Music descent.hmp could not be loaded: Module format not recognized
Music briefing.hmp could not be loaded: Module format not recognized
Music game01.hmp could not be loaded: Module format not recognized
Hello jacoman,

MIDI support can be a bit PITA. To be honest I am always glad if it just works for once. I have only tested the game with the timidity-freepats so far (important to copy the config file /etc/timidity++/timidity-freepats.cfg to /etc/timidity++/timidity.cfg so SDL_mixer - which brings it's own timidity - will recognize it).
If you can link me to the package you are using, I can try to see if I can get it running.
As an alternative you could use the soundtrack AddOns in OGG format. Big, yes but they usually work without hassle - least till we get our own softsynth solution.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Thanks: Freepats works fine when installed. Is there no way to make soundfonts work? My Timidity++ package is:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra...imidity++/
I will try with another soundfont, to check that the problem does not lie with an incomplete (for the purposes of playing descent music) soundfont. Thank You.
Honestly I am not 100% sure if the soundfont may the problem at all. One big thing is that SDL_mixer has it's own version of Timidity build in and will most likely ignore timidity++ except it's config files. Now if your soundfont is also fitting for fluidsynth (never tried that I have to admit), you could try that since it's compatible with SDL_mixer as well.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Thank you zeco, running it with fluidsynth installed and SDL_SOUNDFONTS set works great. Thank you so much for your help.