[0.58.1] weapons connecting, making damage 'clank' sound, but dealing no damage
This happened to both me and Ryusei tonight in both D1 and D2. In D1 I took a vulcan round (not sure if it was only one or a couple), and in D2 I believe he took a gauss round to the face. Both of us experienced the signature clank sound associated with taking damage, but physically took none.
He also had 5 shield when I buzzed him, thereby gypping my kill. DSad Tongue

Mine might have been the same bug as before: The Gauss exploded in midair near my ship, causing the shield clang but no damage or knockback. This is the first time I've seen Vulcan do no damage, though.

Did you happen to get a demo of the D1 game, JinX? That would be pretty funny (and useful) to see in first person.
I've seen the same thing in D1. Hit an opponent with a half-charged fusion shot and a smart. You could hear both clang, but opponent did not die. I have the demo if it's needed.
(09-30-2013, 07:26 AM)Ryusei117 link Wrote:Did you happen to get a demo of the D1 game, JinX? That would be pretty funny (and useful) to see in first person.

If I did, I saw this post way too late and it'd be extremely difficult to track down the demo.
Demos of such things are always nice. But the real issue is probably much harder to get sorted out. The sound effect stems from the hit but it's the question why there wasn't much damage (< 1 shield unit) taken. There sure can be lag involved in regard that a hit was seen from the shooter while the "victim" was only taking slight splash damage. All in all it comes back to how the one who was shot at is "seeing" the hit cause this is where the damage computation comes from.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
(10-22-2013, 11:12 AM)zico link Wrote:All in all it comes back to how the one who was shot at is "seeing" the hit cause this is where the damage computation comes from.

Yep, that's what was so crazy about this instance: JinX saw and heard my Vulcan hit his screen, but took no damage (or possibly less than 1 shield, yeah). It's a shame we couldn't get the demos … Sorry.
We (kali) dealt with this type of issue during the initial beginnings of another descent source code project when bug reporting was actually welcomed- well sort of.  Unfortunately that project is in a closed group and has since been feature raped and skewed

Info from a few years ago

This only happened when in certain screen views(F3)

One view portal was modified by a coding error in a quick attempt for full screen view modification with the info bar that caused the players actual hit box to be below where actual ship was, but all the effects from fighting registered with no damage

And you could toggle it on and off my changing cockpit views

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence