maybe bug ~ red hulk butt launcher
Like I said, it might be very normal what you see. On both ACE and INSANE, a hulk can shoot three times - left, right, left - in a very short time period. And yes, since weapons cannot collide with each other, those things might line up, depending on how you move. Still usually those things will not occupy the same spot when fired - there is still a slight delay between the shots - which is much longer than 5ms (which isn't noticable for the human eye to begin with). If you can catch that on demo, I can probably see if what you observe is normal or not and also read out from the demo IF there are two missiles at the same spot. If you just get massive damage, this might also be something else - not necessarily two missiles at once. For example another bot could just have shot you from behind.

So I am not saying there is no bug, but before I start taking the whole AI code apart AGAIN I would like to know IF there is something wrong in the first place.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
im starting to think these arent independant issues. (there are more actually)

im going to disable vsync and see how that effects things for awhile.
minor update, nothing definitive...

since disabling v-sync i have not noticed any odd behaviour from the bots. ill post back in a few more weeks to confirm this is the case.

(vsync @ 75hz might be the problem here. odd math divider perhaps?)
If you are getting steady FPSes, without hickups or noticable slowdowns, this should not be the culprit. Even with 60Hz there is enough time between each frame to have fire sequences played in their proper sequence. But that would be just the symptom to look for. After all VSync CAN stall the program - after all that's what it does. I'll keep an eye out if I can see the same thing. Even tho I usually play only with VSync active.
yea, ive been bug-free with vsync off @ 75hz.
im running vsync on @ 60hz now to see if the problem is vsync or was just the vsync @ 75hz.
scratch that...
butt launching @ 60hz vsync too.

(its prolly a vsync issue)
Now that I think about it, I too have seen the Super Hulks launch missiles behind themselves a few times—and I never use vsync since input delay is my Achilles's heel in video games. I haven't witnessed any reverse launching in the DOS versions yet, but as soon as I get more time to play singleplayer in DOSBox, I might be able to shed more light on this oddity.
this only happens in D1.

never when playing D2, or even First Strike in D2, just D1.
Like I said, this can potentially happen in all the codes. Soon as a bot has a homing-type weapon, it only needs to KNOW your position (not just a believed one - a "guess") and it will fire. And in this case it will take the vector to the target. It's actually pretty easy - given the correct distance you just need to hit the bot with a flare. In fact however I am not sure whether this bug is "more" DXX exclusive due to some seemingly unrelated changes. The code has this bug - even in the DOS version. It's however possible that the circumstance for it to trigger is less likely in the original game.

But it's a fact PARALLAX wanted this - it's stated in a comment and the code itself has been written precisely for this effect. However I am not sure HOW they intended it to be. I guess they wanted this so the homing missile itself would take care of finding it's way. But in this case I would need to make sure it would at least fire straight ahead. On the other hand, removing this completely or limiting the angle the missile is fired is also an option. The question just is what will be more faithful to the game. I almost suspect that removing it would be the most acceptable solution since "firing straight" could not be done in the original game code in the first place. And if you are behind a bot, the projectile has no way finding you as well.
(11-18-2013, 10:01 PM)zico link Wrote:[...] it's a fact PARALLAX wanted this - it's stated in a comment and the code itself has been written precisely for this effect.

D'oh, sorry … upon returning to this thread after a while, I forgot you had already confirmed that this is vanilla behavior. Anyway, whether or not the reverse launching is removed, I wouldn't complain. Personally, I like how the Super Hulks can scare the crap out of me: I ambush one from behind and try to immobilize it with Plasma, but it fires out of its butt. :o Can't just sit there holding the trigger; you have to be ready to dodge at all times.