maybe bug ~ red hulk butt launcher
D1 0573 & 0581

im seeing this happen more and more.

sneak up behind a red hulk, blast him in the back while holding him down and youve got an easy kill right?... nope! he shoots homers out his butt  :o

dont remember ever seeing that in DOS.
They're evolving!

I actually remember seeing this many, many times and I vaguely recall hearing it's difficulty related? I might be mistaken though.
Actually this is a very old thing - saw it in the original game as well - and as far as I can tell: This is even partially intended.

Fact is: Bots can basically shoot in any direction - they don't need to shoot straight like your ship. But usually the angle in which they fire is limited by their field of view. Very similar to the homing missiles actually. But if a bot fires a homing missile itself, there is no view-check performed. Usually the AI code will try to rotate the bot first but if a bot gets a valid "believed player position", which can also happen due to "making enough noise", ramming, etc, instead of seeing the player. Now if the players distance is appropriate to not having the AI busy with moving, it'll fire. (Part of this can surely be influenced by difficulty but it's basically possible to happen on every difficulty level)

All in all this is a loophole in the AI code. Knowing that a player is behind the bot should allow to be aware of it - not firing out of "it's butt". Personally I'd add a view check for bots with homers which corresponds with the tracking field of the homing missile itself. That would be the logical conclusion but it certainly "changes the original behaviour of the game".
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
if its normal behaviour, thats fine. its no big deal on Hotshot, but on Ace or Insane its very... painful.

its no wonder i didnt notice this in DOS' pixelated mess. in Rebirth i can actually see the bot loading the homer before it fires  :o
Again, to be honest I don't think it's what the programmers intended back in the day. This behaviour was more or less implemented so a bot would fire a homing projectile even if it could not be aimed directly towards the player (since it can turn by itself). It's an overlooked loophole. I'm gonna fix this issue and see how many will complain about it. Wink
its hard to notice ~ but im also seeing red hulk launch 3 homers at a time.

3?
(09-09-2013, 06:47 PM)ThugsRook link Wrote:[…] im also seeing red hulk launch 3 homers at a time.

As a volley, that's very common, especially on Insane. As long as you don't mean, they launch three Homers simultaneously from one launcher, with the missiles all occupying the same point in space, right? That would be a bug—but I'm not seeing that.
not as a volley, 3 homers at once, all at the same time.

d1 level13 on ace was the last time i saw it happen.
rush the red guy, as you get face-to-face he'll launch a triple ~ always one from his right arm and 2 from his left, all at once.
Demos would be incredibly helpful to confirm what you're seeing is correct or not. Otherwise I am just hunting ghosts like with the Advanced Lifter. On higher difficulty those guys shoot very frequent so it might be a very normal behaviour actually.
might be next to impossible to get a demo of this.

happens very rarely and usually is not repeatable once it does happen. (reload savegame, try again)

the part that clued me in was losing 80 shields. (from a single homer?) watching very carefully i see him launch 3 homers when im about 2 ship-lengths away (while rushing him), i have about 5ms to actually see the homers before im slammed.

???