[D1X v58.1] Major Lag (Win7, 64bit)
(08-16-2013, 07:08 PM)zico link Wrote:Actually if the game really "speeds up" at some point, there's a good chance the BIOS clock is not working correctly.

I would not doubt if this was Alienware's fault.
actually the CDrom bug does the exact same thing...

game bogs down to 5fps and then spirts real fast to catch up. (over and over)
To explain this a bit further:
"Speeding up" I mean this would happen over several frames. If the game just "jumps ahead" in time from one frame into another this can have several reason - including a clock. The game usually asks the time from the system to calculate whatever time is between the frames.

So if the game actually speeds up, runs faster over the cause of several frames, this is an issue that directly concerns the clock as it reports false values over several frames.

If the game "jumps forward" this can happen if the game is interrupted for an extended period of time OR if the clock suddenly jumps forward. I once dealt with a BIOS Firmware problem that made the clcok run too slow and whenever it was synced via a timeserver online the game began to jump or speed up.

If the same speedup (several frames) ahppens with CD-Rom, this would be an issue inside SDL as it's responsible for both CD-Rom and time-query. Whcih however will not be an issue in SDL 2.0 anymore since this removes CD-Rom support entirely.

Now what is the case here I don't know but if we deal with bluescreening-drivers this may also be a point to start. But it's probably out of my scope since I really don't know a lot about Windows systems to be honest.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
I actually have the now discontinued M15x laptop.  I was young and didn't do much research before deciding on a laptop.  I didn't realize I could essentially have a machine built to the same specs by almost any other company for half the cost.  :-[

(08-16-2013, 07:06 PM)Blarget2 link Wrote:They typically start failing after 1 to 2 years of use. I learned the hard way with a friend.

Despite not running a tower, your experience directly mirrors mine.  I started having issues (mostly with resource hogs like games) after about 2 years of regular use (as I am also using the laptop for college) and I could never really figure out why.  Every technician who's looked at my computer says that it ought to run just fine, but for some reason I still have problems here and there.

(08-16-2013, 08:44 PM)zico link Wrote:So if the game actually speeds up, runs faster over the cause of several frames, this is an issue that directly concerns the clock as it reports false values over several frames.

Now what is the case here I don't know but if we deal with bluescreening-drivers this may also be a point to start. But it's probably out of my scope since I really don't know a lot about Windows systems to be honest

You've explained my problem probably more descriptively than I could have.  I've heard many things about poor support and design with AW BIOS setups, so I'll have to take another look at that and see if I can't get updated to a newer one, as it's never been changed.  Cheers!