[D2 v1.2 DOS] Flash Missile white out
It's worth to compare that, yes. I know D1X added more brightness steps from 8 to 16. So you can make the game brighter than the original but it should not go lower actually.
If there's a factual difference I'd say this is related to how the effect is done in OpenGL.

When comparing tho I would however recommend to also compare DOSBox to running the game natively. I could not find out DOSBox having configs for Brightness or Contrast but it's worth to note if we talk about the same base here. I doubt there is much to find but if we are going splitting hairs again, I'd say it woul dbe best to leave DOSBox OUT of the picture to make sure we get an actual reference.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Well the question I have then is if the flash missile code has been changed from the original D2 source to now, and if any routines that calculate screen brightness have changed drastically at all.
The Software renderer just steps up the palette. OpenGL takes a white plane and blends it over the image. Supposed to do exactly the same thing but since it's another rendering mechanic (thing is: we had no OpenGL back in the days of MS-DOS), it's done differently from the technical side.

EDIT:
I just did a test between Rebirth on OpenGL, Rebirth on Software rendering and D2 on DOSbox. You can blow as many flash missile in a wall directly in front of you. You gotta shoot 2 or more to reach the max flash effect since they do not technically explode on you. But so far, the effect is exactly the same for all three builds: The screen does NOT white-out completely if brightness is set to Minimum. With Maximum (which is the middle setting for Rebirth), you can white-out the image.

Conclusion: Rebirth doesn't do anything different here. Like pointed out already this is a mistake carried over from the original game.
Would you be still willing to tone it down?
I wasn't planning on toning it down completely but just aligning it so you get the same MAX effect no matter of your brightness setting.

I mean IF EVERYONE is okay with that. Recently I've been told it's NOT okay to fix bugs.
Heh, yeah always look at that briefing image if you want an answer to that.
True  Tongue
Which ever way you decide to take it, the main concern is that the blinding effect is equal among all.  I don't particularly care if you make it so all players can see (some) after a direct hit, or that all players can't see anything after a direct hit, as long as all players see the same thing after a direct hit.  I would lean toward total whiteout, only because that is the way it always has been for me (I guess I've always upped the brightness some).  I bet some will say the other way, because they've always been able to see a little after a direct hit.

Just to reiterate, I am for fixing the bug.  I guess the trouble is defining which behavior is the bug...  Good Luck! Big Grin
I would say toning it down so you can just barely aim at something, regardless of brightness level, would be both adequate and acceptable.  If you'd like I could get a screenshot of me shooting at the level 16 boss while fully flashed for reference.

And this bug is not even close to being on the same page as making sure homing missiles play the same as they did in the DOS days.  That's more of a deviation from intended mechanics sort of thing.  This flash missile thing is something that is just plain annoying, and makes the game outright unplayable at times because of how prolific flash missiles are in the d2 campaigns.

Also is it just me, or do flash missiles have a flash and damage radius that is dependent on the size of the object they impact?  I nail a pig with one at medium range, I don't get flashed at all, but I nail a sidearm at the same range and my whole screen goes white and I lose a bunch of shields.
Actually I am half-way done with the fix already. Wink

Right now the flashes - no matter if collecting a powerup or flash missile will blind you equally on all brightness settings. Now that code which sets things back to normal worries me a bit. This would need to be scaled as well so the screen goes back to normal in the same time - no matter the brightness setting.

But that code partially runs with a random factor and the values and even with a flash missile the current difference between full and lowest brightness are ~0.5 seconds. Scaling this makes this only worse. I gotta check how I can revamp this code so I can scale it better. On the other hand due to that random factor, that scaling is probably totally worthless since it alone often makes a bigger time difference than 0.5 secs alone. So no matter if scaled or not, screen goes back to normal in around 3,5 secs - give or take 0.25. I will tackle this again when not being tired.

@Avder:
I didn't so much about a slight difference in the homer code but rather dealing FPS damage to bots and reactors.