Mac D1 sounds contain clicks
Many, probably most, of the sounds found in d1xr-mac-sounds.zip contain annoying clicks for some reason. Further investigation showed that they're not exact rips from the Mac D1 data and are most likely emulator recordings. This kind of sucks, so I wrote a program to make exact (hopefully) rips of all the sounds. Here is the revised d1xr-mac-sounds.zip that I made from the rips, which shouldn't contain any clicks that weren't originally in the Mac data. (They worked fine during the few minutes of testing that I did.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e40rv2wamqcdj...s.dxa?dl=1
i didnt notice any clicks when i tested the D1MAC DEMO, but the sfx were extremely low quality. (lower then 11k)

ill have to test your pack Smile

note to MAC users: you can use the PC HOG & PIG files.

EDIT: played thru the D1MAC DEMO ~ no problems and sounded much better.

nice job Smile
Yeah, I'm a mac user. No clicks in my sounds at all, sounds fine. hm
Captain of the [b]Black Lions Squad, Descent Rangers

Membership Council Assistant (Descent Rangers)

Resident Mac User and your friendly neighborhood rhinoceros Big Grin
(05-28-2013, 04:17 PM)ThugsRook link Wrote:i didnt notice any clicks when i tested the D1MAC DEMO, but the sfx were extremely low quality. (lower then 11k)
The clicks sound more like crackling. The sounds are still 11k, though. (Crackling is not a symptom of very low sampling rates.)

(05-29-2013, 04:43 AM)PigmyRhino link Wrote:Yeah, I'm a mac user. No clicks in my sounds at all, sounds fine. hm
Are you using the PC version of the game data (that is, the first opening screen is the Interplay logo and not the MacPlay logo)? If so, then that is why the game sounds fine for you. This issue concerns only the Mac game data being used with the missing-sounds add-on; the operating system that you're using doesn't matter.
yeah i'm using Windows Data. If the macplay data causes clicks, why even bother with it? just switch to the windows stuff. (it's like 10 bucks on gog.com)
Captain of the [b]Black Lions Squad, Descent Rangers

Membership Council Assistant (Descent Rangers)

Resident Mac User and your friendly neighborhood rhinoceros Big Grin
The Mac version doesn't contain the clicks. Rather, the sound add-on (which you need if you're using the Mac data) that's on dxx-rebirth.com has inaccurate rips that happen to contain lots of clicks. My version of the add-on does use accurate rips, so it doesn't have this problem.

Why use the Mac data? Because it has higher-resolution versions of the cockpit and certain other HUD elements (similar to Descent 2) that you can't currently use with the PC data. Maybe it isn't a compelling reason, but it is a reason nonetheless.
Interesting. What I did was extract the 'snd ' resources from the resource fork of the Mac binary using a free program called 'Mac To Wav'. I then converted those to RAW files so that they would load using existing code in D1X.

If there are problems with those files I made I'll use the ones Yarn made, who likely knows more about audio than me. Tongue
(06-08-2013, 07:46 AM)Kreator link Wrote:Interesting. What I did was extract the 'snd ' resources from the resource fork of the Mac binary using a free program called 'Mac To Wav'. I then converted those to RAW files so that they would load using existing code in D1X.
I found a program called "Mac To Wav" here, and it appears to make accurate rips of sounds (same length, no added clicks, no sample-rate-conversion artifacts). It's possible that your method of converting to RAW is what altered the sound data. Out of curiosity, do you remember how you did it?
is there any way of having this pack upscaled to 22k?
and allowing D1 (PC and MAC) to support 22k?

i know sdl_mixer upscales to 44k, but i use classic mode (no sdl_mixer)

:-[
Depending on how you upscale it will either exactly like 11khz or similar like SDL_mixer mode. But as far as it's now Descent 1 will only handle 11khz sounds so a 22khz pack itself will not help you - unless you use SDL_mixer which then again just upscales them to 44khz - again, changes nothing.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!