My Descent for Android port.
(05-24-2014, 03:04 PM)zico link Wrote:Even if we change the license of Rebirth-code, the whole program still uses the PARALLAX license for other parts. So commercial use of anything based on that is not allowed.

what she does is sells android ports of games without the assets then asks you to provide your own files.
(05-24-2014, 05:20 PM)Blarget2 link Wrote:what she does is sells android ports of games without the assets then asks you to provide your own files.

That does not change a thing. The source code of descent was released under parallax license. There is no way you can sell any binary (or source) without parallax' consent, no matter what additional licenses dxx-rebirth attaches to the code. The only way to get rid of that constraint would be to reimplement the whole game without using any parts of the original code.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
(05-24-2014, 06:51 PM)derhass link Wrote:[quote author=Blarget2 link=topic=1523.msg20219#msg20219 date=1400952050]
what she does is sells android ports of games without the assets then asks you to provide your own files.

That does not change a thing. The source code of descent was released under parallax license. There is no way you can sell any binary (or source) without parallax' consent, no matter what additional licenses dxx-rebirth attaches to the code. The only way to get rid of that constraint would be to reimplement the whole game without using any parts of the original code.
[/quote]

That is what I said, Until the licence is changed too GPL, she can't sell it.
(05-23-2014, 05:19 AM)Blarget2 link Wrote:THAT CONTROL SETUP! It is amazing. I really can not wait to get a working .apk to test.

Quote:The only modification I made to the core game-play is to make the ship `look` (heading and pitch) faster, this makes it much easy to play on a touch screen.

I do not know about this, what if I want to join a multi-player game?

Edit: sorry to make you popular on reddit. But I made you popular on reddit.

Edit2: I saw that you charge for most of your ports. Will you be charging for descent as well? Actually you physically can not do this until the rebirth licence is made GPL. Under parallax licence you can not sell descent source. This should be happening soon.

Ha thanks for the reddit post Smile I wondered how it got over 3k views in 2 days!

Yeah I don´t know if the look senstivty will break MP, I directly edit the Contols data structure so it might be transerfed over MP, but I don´t have any knowledge of the protocol.

Yes the License forbibs anyone to sell it open source, tbh that is why I havn´t looked at it until now, but I had a little spare time while travleling on 15 hour bus journies around South America so decided to have another go Smile

If possible it would be great if an offical version could be sold on Google Play, any proceeds after Interplays take would go me and to the Rebirth team. Of course this depends if the devs here would want anything to do with this, and of course if Interplay were interested. It may help with costs here, and would still be open source Wink

If not possible I would probably just release the code as it is, but I would not be able to offer the support and updates as I do with the other apps Sad I get like emails 20/day wanting support from the other apps which I only *just* keep up, but maybe someone else can support.

Thanks for the interest, I will let you guys know if any more progress.
Cheers Emile

Nice work Emile. I hope you'll relase the android version with succes. I would love to play Descent from my tablet. Keep up the good work.  Wink
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.
Sorry for the bump. I am at camp right now with only my android phone and wanted to know if you needed someone to test your port so far.
(08-02-2013, 07:40 PM)emile_b link Wrote:Hi,

Here is the last source I think for this, good luck!

http://beloko.com/temp/DescentLib.zip

Hi Emile,

I'm intereseted in looking at your code.  I have some android experience.  Maybe I can do something with it.  I would like to add control based on the device's sensors (gyroscope / accelerometers).  Could you post a new link?  The one above is dead.

Thanks!