What this cube type does?
As far as I remember you had to setup reactor cube in D1 to make the level work properly.
I wonder what this cube really does. Does it prevent stuff from spawning there or else?
First off, it's gonna look red in your in-game automap. Tongue Not sure if it has any other uses, as the object called "reactor" does all the rest, as far as I know.
Descent Rangers
Captain of Black Lions squadron

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
If I remember correctly, in early Descent 1 versions there was no countdown when you had no reactor cube...
Actually this is still true. The timer value is saved inside the reactor segment. However I previously introduced a fix where the countown timer will still work even with no reactor segment present so the game will not go into infinite loop.

And yes, the game will use not use this segment to spawn powerups into (at least 0.57.3 of DXX will do that correctly in all cases now). However if you have a Multiplayer level without exits, reactor or boss, this segment is unnecessary.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Good, I marked few cubes like that in the level and it seems that works. Since its ctf map it should prevent flags from spawning in strange places. (Trying to minimize random factor for flags). I hope that zico is going to fix that ctf mode eventually Wink
Wait a second... if you mark the entire level with reactor cubes, then... it's gonna work like a CTF! Nice one there. :o
Descent Rangers

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
No. Stuff wouldn't appear, and even if you would left home cubes only not set as reactor you could get blue flag appearing in red home (50% chance). So... messed up, no way here.
Hmmm, right. I for a second thought that enemy flags do not spawn in our goals... That would mean automatic scoring. Crap, you'll say, and you will be right, because we also have neighboring cubes too. I still am not sure... I think it's true. A simple 11-cube corridor with 2 goals at each end and full of reactor cubes will suffice to test...
Descent Rangers

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
I dont see the point of testing it. Even if you can make flag always appear in your home you have other items.
Spawning the flag in certain position  is not good enough too, you still need to return your flag by touching it which can't be solved by cubing, and separation of start positions for each team. Those things together make CTF game like it should be.
Crucial part is to make it happen without the need to update level editor, which I believe can be done.
An option for alternative CTF behaviour is planned for 0.58.
Should include:
- spawn players "near" their base (if spawn points are near base, it will use them)
- spawn flag in base when scored
- spawn flag in base if team-member touches it

Actually stuffing the mine full of reactor cubes might not be the best idea after all. the reactor cube is part of the "special" cubes to which the fuelcenters count. And per level you can have 50 of them max.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!