Announcing SDLDevil
Also posted on D2X-XL forums: http://www.descent2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2627
(quoted to be precise Tongue)
Descent Rangers
Captain of Black Lions squadron

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
It's about freaking time!  Even though I need to practice more in Devil.  I'm still a DLE-XP user though.  But this is great news!
OMG
You are the Man.
Thank you very much for this.
I just finished testing it, it's a way more stable than original, yet there is still some things to be done.

and I made this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26623478/mylevels/9000.zip
just for giggles ;>
It's 9000 standard cubes level, flat 2d long range weapon testing facility :>

sorry it's rl2 ...i couldn't get anything to turn it into hog lol
well actually its less stable seeing it only does everything devil does but render mode and mission manager is broke.
I've tried to reach that 9000 with DOS devil - and I failed. It simply died somewhere around 5000 cubes (sometimes more sometimes less). This 1 crashed on me only 3 times during my work - once on hog creation what was mentioned above. Oh and changing texture list view crashes too.
SDL version is also much faster - no problem with moving around with thousands of cubes.

For how long you have been using DOS Devil, Blarget?
(03-30-2012, 10:57 PM)aqqman link Wrote:OMG
You are the Man.
Thank you very much for this.
I just finished testing it, it's a way more stable than original, yet there is still some things to be done.

and I made this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26623478/mylevels/9000.zip
just for giggles ;>
It's 9000 standard cubes level, flat 2d long range weapon testing facility :>

sorry it's rl2 ...i couldn't get anything to turn it into hog lol

Thanks... Always nice to hear that the work is useful for others Smile

On which OS are you using it?

I actually fixed some things which might be problems in the original devil ... in several places achim accessed memory he already freed before which might have caused crashes in the past.
The hog manager is already fixed in the current git version - I'd like to fix the other bugs blarget reported before releasing the 0.3 ...
Debugging the software renderer is awful pain in the ass - since Achim - a fan of good old ANSI C which isn't aware of inline functions - coded large portions of it as macros for speed reasons....
Currently I am ill and have to stay in bed, no head for coding, but I hope that I'll hunt down the current bugs the next weeks...

9000 Cubes: This is funny: I just got your mission from dmdb and played it - before knowing that it was made with my editor-port Smile

I'm on XP.
Yeah there is slow down when loading it, somewhere around 6000, and when I selected 'make room' on all 9000 cubes it took a while - with non responsive application but it made it.
This is also a good point... Since it has it's roots in DOS, there was no reason freeing ressources while hanging in loops. In the main loop I fixed this, but in other places it would also be good to sleep() for a while Smile
Well in such case you should add 'processing' progress bar of some king, because non responsive at least informed you that it is doing something lol
as soon as mission manager and render view work, this will be WAY better than running devil in dosbox.