Announcing SDLDevil
:o ZOMG! Our first Linux-native level editor--! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANK...

Now I have no excuse not to make some levels. Well, other than currently being busy with various crap, and being a complete n00b to cubing in general... Wink But we'll see.
(03-28-2012, 10:42 PM)Blarget2 link Wrote:In dosbox, i just set the missions dir in the config for devil and it worked every time.
With SDLdevil, i have to make a new map, then click load (for some reason allows me to access the whole hard drive), and THEN open save for save to work.
This is not a big issue, but if you don't do it in that order, it does not go anywhere and stays blank.
Ah OK. I heard this also from someone else... I'll look after it and it will be fixed in 0.3 Wink
(03-29-2012, 12:57 AM)Alter-Fox link Wrote:EDIT: I still can't figure out how to get into the actual editor.  Unless the entire thing is command-line which would... not explain all the hype I heard about DEVIL.

You have to configure here
- where your descent 1/2 installation(s) are (the paths to the hog and pig files)
- for what descent version you want to use it

if finishet you need to leave this with Q. Now when restarting it, you should find yourself in the editor. To alter this configuration you have to start it with the commandline switch /config.
I'll introduce a graphical configuration gui within the next versions Wink
Because apparently right now you can't get back into it in windows. Wink

so, lets recap. Shall we?

Major issues so far
:
-mission pathing is wonky
-mission manager crashes

Minor issues so far:
-render mode crashes / freezes after you move in the inside of cubes.
(single cube render works so far.)
-config is only accessible once in windows unless you understand how to edit the .cfg correctly.
I still believe the mentality of cubing and configuring in DLE is better than Devil. It's does miss some goodies Devil has but that's only what is left to make it perfect. While devil has a long way to go, in my opinion. (So by DLE I mean DMB2 mentality) But, that's why we have the Rebirth editor under scaffolding. A chance to merge all good features of both, and better yet, realize geometric tools that could never be imagined at the time of Descent. Like imaginary rails restricting DMB2 customary editing functions. (just a crazy idea, demonstrating what can come out of the new editor)

(03-29-2012, 03:58 AM)Ryusei117 link Wrote:Now I have no excuse not to make some levels. Well, other than currently being busy with various crap, and being a complete n00b to cubing in general... Wink But we'll see.
You never had an excuse. Tongue You could run DLE-XP on wine. If you adopt devil, we 're gonna bump heads, challenging each other to more and more extreme design. Tongue Hmmm, me also being busy with various stuff. I really can't wait for v66r next alpha versions out, and Ryusei's first level for that matter. Tongue
Descent Rangers
Captain of Black Lions squadron

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
Hawkins, id have to disagree with you there. Devil (imho) is way faster, and has a better cubing flow than any other editor i've used.
Maybe this is a very sensitive and emotional topic - just lik VI vs EMACS Smile
A bullseye analogy there v66r. Like I said, we still run DLE on windows/wine and all we need is a handier Devil, which you strive to provide. With the power of both... You know...
Descent Rangers

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
still waiting on a 9000 cube medium sized map from you Tongue as detailed as modern shooters Big Grin
(i would, but :EFFORTSmile
Don't you worry, it's comin'. Tongue Although with the details you demand, It might take 90000 cubes instead. Big Grin Unless/Until I figure so more cubing tricks up the sleeve. Wink To be honest I already mad some to-be 8000 cube drafts for XL, but with Devil.... :EFFORT: to get used to Tongue Thanks to v66r's work though that might change in the future, like I already said. You cannot imagine how precious this SDLDevil work is. An critical stepstone, and an inspired initiative. Will return with some feed back. Tongue
Descent Rangers

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger