Zico's development blog 3
As answered in some other posts - but let's make it finally official here:
Nope it is not planned. It requires a huge rewrite of the whole engine (if done right) and my love for this hobby does not go far enough to do that. Especially because I could not care even less for Multiplayer than I do now (not meant as an offense but that is simply a fact).

Also I do not know what a didicated server would actually be good for when not having player-bot support.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Hello guys,

I feel the need for a little statement as right now basically everything goes wrong here. As I already mentioned in some places I am currently reworking the whole Multiplayer to give the Host/Server more authority over the game which should finally fix inconsistencies between clients as a result from lag, packet loss, etc. I am also preparing some more improvements especially to take off some usage from the game host due to the new packet transfer.

As this takes quite some time, we have decided to release a Bugfix version which should fix the most annoying bugs, especially some compile-time issues as well as the most prominent that causes bosses not to fire at you.

However due to the update of some libraries the OS X release gives us some trouble. As soon as this is fixed however, we'll publish the current development code - which has been tested for some time now - to public so shorten the time to the next full-blown release which will then hopefully be heaven for all fans of Multiplayer.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
After testing for hours, I'd have to say i cant find anything wrong with 57.2 so far. No one ever lagged on my screen. everything was hitting the ship where the ship was on my screen. Everything was super smooth. LOVE IT  ;D
So, basically its just bugfixes - the latest beta with new libraries. As far as I can see the lag issues is a story for 58, same about weapon disappearing in D1.
Gauss needs to be let loose a little more. I sat still and let Ice hit me twice. I could see the red flashes on my hud but my shields held at 70. The 3rd time he hit I went down to 54. Gauss is definitely dropping shots.
So two bursts of shots took each around 15 shield units and another burst took around 16. Sounds about right to me. Considering the Gauss doing 8 shots per second - pretty good precision, Ice.
I think Flip means his shields were already at 70 when the gauss started hitting him (they 'held'), but the first two shots didn't do any damage.
I used to see this kind of thing in D3 a lot.  It always tended to happen to the mega missiles I shot at people :Smile .

The eyes of the plush lobster stared deep into my soul. I touched it, made as if to pick it up, and then I became a panther.

---------------------------------------------------
Check out my music @ Vertigo Fox
Ye lol thx zico.
So it's just another example of visual inconsistency, when what you see is trying to catch up after what happens in the netcode and can't catch up sometimes.

(03-05-2012, 03:10 PM)aqqman link Wrote:Ye lol thx zico.
So it's just another example of visual inconsistency, when what you see is trying to catch up after what happens in the netcode and can't catch up sometimes.
Which is not at all how the game works. Maybe I am too stupid to understand what your actual problems are but the game does not "catch up". You can have lag - yes - which is a delay that happens when packets travel slower than you are used to. That is something *usual* and are particular annoying in video games. Sometimes your packets can even get lost in the process. And if this happens frequently that rather is a problem on your end - not mine.
But either something HAPPENS or it does not. Maybe it's also a general misunderstanding on how a game works in a Network but I am not sure at all.

So if you are HIT by something and your screen flashes red you DO get damage. That is because the red flash is a visual effect called by the function which decreases the shield of your ship. But beware: There is some misleading visual secret here! Your ship can actually take less than 1 shield unit of damage! so if you bash into a wall you CAN take damage but the shield value will stay the same. That is because the shield is represented in an integer value and rounds up. So after bashing into a wall you get 99.75 shield but the evil HUD shows 100.

However the Vulcan fire 20 shots a second and Gauss does 8. So I would not try to base damage/shot-observations on these weapons at all. The Gauss can do different damage if you just press the trigger some milliseconds longer than before. especially with the Vulcan you are probably not fast enough to time two bursts of fire precisely and this is what I assume happened here.

But fun aside:
We can assume the heck out of everythign here. But as long as I am presented with false assumptions about the root of a problem we'll get nowhere. If you take three minutes to read the "How to post a bug" thread you might find a safe way on how to report an issue and if you follow all steps correctly I can say that we have a good chance finding out what is haunting you. But like this, nothing will ever come out of this as I am STILL not sure WHAT your problem is.
(03-05-2012, 03:43 PM)zico link Wrote:There is some misleading visual secret here! Your ship can actually take less than 1 shield unit of damage! so if you bash into a wall you CAN take damage but the shield value will stay the same. That is because the shield is represented in an integer value and rounds up. So after bashing into a wall you get 99.75 shield but the evil HUD shows 100.

Argh you are right, I did not consider such case. It might be what happened to flip, it could be fraction of splash damage or whatever.
Visual inconsistency erm that is what I described somewhere already with smart missing the target and killing the target at the same time, anyway... it doesn't go anywhere...