Zico's development blog 3
Actually I have no idea if the editor will have such a feature when it's released. I cannot say since I only saw the editor UI ONE time over Rebirth. Kreator does most of the job.

But no matter if or if not: if it's desired it can be added. We start with what's there and when it's out the Suggestions board will be open for all suggestions about the Editor as well.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
id like his email. give him what NEEDS to be in the editor from the ground up.
You can always find his eMail in the "Team" page on our website. But I cannot assure you when you'll get an answer. He usually is pretty usy. But I can tell you that the first steps we now take will be porting the editor "as is" from the original code and go from there. Which is the logical thing to do. Adding new functions to the UI later is just a matter of details but first we need to get it to work - rendering, making the UI usable, making it be able to incorporate PhysFS for file handling etc.

Anyways feel free to contact him about your wishes - he's much deeper into this topic right now.
why doesn't he have a forum account?
He has but he barely has the time to visit the forum unfortunately.
a few things to talk/ think about....

1.People have been talking about how cool it would be to have a CTF mode like every other game out there. I'm not to fond of the idea, but everyone else thinks "since XL and d3 have it, why not rebirth?"
thoughts?

2. has Kreator talked to you much about the editor lately? :3

3. mind removing all virtual limits? aka walls, doors, items, robots, particles....what ever else is limited.... that would be awesome.

EDIT: particles should be limited tho.... or not rendered if not seen. though that sounds like a pain for multiplayer....

EDIT2: or maybe just get rid of the limit of robot spawners. that limit is too small.
1) I think about more classic options for CTF indeed. Fixed spawning point and Recapture of flags should not be a problem. However these will not be included in a new game mode or even replace the current game mode but be rather optional settings to freely add to any CTF game.
2) No comment. Wink
3) Yes. The goal is to use some more intelligent programming to not be limited to virtual borders that just keep the RAM (of 1994) from exploding. However the object limit will most likely still be fixed to 350 or max 500-600 as possibly all objects need to be transferred to a newly joining player in Multiplayer - that would just be prone to errors if the limit is increased too much.
(02-05-2012, 11:28 PM)zico link Wrote:3) Yes. The goal is to use some more intelligent programming to not be limited to virtual borders that just keep the RAM (of 1994) from exploding. However the object limit will most likely still be fixed to 350 or max 500-600 as possibly all objects need to be transferred to a newly joining player in Multiplayer - that would just be prone to errors if the limit is increased too much.
Hmm, any comments as to what you have in store here? this sounds really interesting.

Also, I would indeed love a proper CTF model. After playing so much TF2 lately I've been itching to see what normal CTF in Descent is like.
The limits can be increased depending on which data types the engine uses to specify indecies (and how those are saved in level files, SAavegames and whatnot). So for the cube limit we can at least have 32767 cubes for example since the "least optimal" data type used here is a signed short. Same goes for objects. I think the walls limit could be increased as well but I always gotta doublecheck this before saying something specific. I want to increase these limits but not by breaking the level format. Not yet at least. Smile
This question has been bugging me for awhile now. Will there ever be dedicated server support for this project?