The Official DXX-Rebirth Installer
For the record: the only other thing I think this installer needs is the ability to automatically recognize the Descent 1 and Descent 2 GOG files if those releases are already installed on the machine prior to a Future Pilot's installer.

For example:

http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Installatio...figuration

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/GOG.com#List_o...on_GOG.com

All of the above source ports use the Windows system registry to detect GOG's install folders.  Doing this would eliminate the need to manually choose GOG when running the installer.  You could simply open dxx-rebirth or d2x-rebirth without even having to do anything else, since GOG was already installed and present.
Is this a feature for the installer or for the game? Those pages read more like a game feature. Either way, it would be helpful if you could post the full Windows registry paths and an example of their content. Similarly, if Steam has an equivalent set of keys, those would be useful to know for the same reason.
(11-27-2017, 03:39 AM)Kp Wrote: Is this a feature for the installer or for the game?  Those pages read more like a game feature.  Either way, it would be helpful if you could post the full Windows registry paths and an example of their content.  Similarly, if Steam has an equivalent set of keys, those would be useful to know for the same reason.

As I am not a programmer, I won't be able to provide that.  I'm merely suggesting that feature because source ports for other games already do this. Technically, this feature could be for the installer and the two rebirth source ports themselves.
You don't need to be a programmer. You just need to have installed the game from one of those sources and use regedit to show the contents. Perhaps AFP already has the game through one or both of those vendors and can look it up on his system. If not, then the feature cannot be added until someone posts those paths, because the feature is defined to examine those paths, so if the paths are not known, then the feature cannot be implemented.
I'm planning on adding a feature to the installer to automatically detect the location of the game files if they've been installed through GOG, Steam, or the original disks.

There's a couple other things I'd like to add to the installer as well, which I'll do at the same time. I'm not sure when I'll have to time to work on it though.
(11-27-2017, 11:47 PM)A Future Pilot Wrote: I'm planning on adding a feature to the installer to automatically detect the location of the game files if they've been installed through GOG, Steam, or the original disks.

There's a couple other things I'd like to add to the installer as well, which I'll do at the same time. I'm not sure when I'll have to time to work on it though.

In GZdoom, the gzdoom.ini file allows configuration of different PATHs for IWADs (Doom.wad, doom2.wad, etc...) so maybe something like that would work for dxx and d2x-rebirth? I know that's not the installer, but it's kinda related.
I believe there's already a -hogdir option to set the location of the files. I prefer the installer copying over the files from previous installations though instead of it pointing to somewhere else via an .ini option.