The Official DXX-Rebirth Installer
*Updated. Fixed a bug with the components selection, it should now copy files from anywhere that you specify. Smile Thanks go to MathewG (from the GOG forum) for finding this bug!
Finally made an account here (Man, I gotta stop being such a lurker!) just to say thanks for this nice little installer! It has made my life a lot easier in getting some MP games together with friends - Most of my friends seem to somehow screw up installing Rebirth, and this just makes it perfectly idiot-proof. Tongue
You're quite welcome!! Smile I'm glad it's helped y'all!
*Updated. Just added some behind-the-scenes stuff (I went through and documented all the code and such, as well as added my own little in-house revision system, to make sure I always am working on the latest version. I also re-compiled and uploaded the installer...there shouldn't be any change, but in case I somehow managed to add a bug, this'll show it Wink )

Also I added a link to the source file in the original post, mainly because I believe in open source lol! Smile
Hi everyone. This sounds great as I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out which files go in what folders! Has anyone made an installer like this for a Mac running  OSX? It would sure make it easier for me. Love the game and this user group. It's just what I needed. Thanks.
I started working on one once, then lost access to a mac. But the mac installation is much easier anyway...just create Descent/Descent 2 folders in you Applications, then copy everything from the disk images to their respective folders. Then just copy the files from your original Descent installations into the Data subfolders in each folder.

If you need any more help feel free to ask...and welcome to the Rebirth community!! Smile
OK You said "If you need any more help feel free to ask..".  I have D2X working but I do have some problems with it. The  gold power-up areas for for the default gun don't work. I can't get any new downloaded missions to work. The default cockpit I used to be so fond of doesn't work. I'm afraid I made a mess of things, although it does work. here is what I have.In the D2X folder I have d2x.ini, eaf2.bat, eaf2.sng.
Folders
250 - 250.ham
Config - d2x Kopie.ini,  d2x-default.ini,  d2x.ini.  descent.cfg.
Data - alien1.pig, alien2.pig, CHAOS.HOG, CHAOS.MSN, d1lost.hog, d1lost.msn, d2demo.pig, d2x-xl.hog, descent.hog, descent.pig, descent.tex,  DESCENT2.HAM, DESCENT2.HOG, DESCENT2.S11, DESCENT2.S22, eaf2.hog, eaf2.mn2, exit.ham, fire.pig, groupa.pig, hoard.ham, ice.pig, intro.mvl, lostlvls.ham, lostlvls.sng, lostlvls.txb, other.mvl, robots.mvl, and water.pig.
Missions - (empty)
Models - 109 files of .ase's and tga's with the same name, ie, ammorack.ase, and ammorack.tga.
Profiles - (default)
Sounds - 3 wavs & the d2x-xl folder (61 wavs)
Textures - 509 tga s
Like I said, I think I made a mess of things. PLEEZE HELP!  Thank You.
If you went out of your way to identify the contents of your folder, then don't use the installer, but just download the windows version here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxx-rebi....1-win.zip and http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxx-rebi....1-win.zip and put your game content in, manually. There is a README in each of the archives I linked you above, which gives detailed instructions. Keep the D2X-XL content out, i.e.: put DXX-Rebirth and original Descent content (see READMEs) in new folders (for d1x and d2x each, separately), along with your pilot and mission files, if you have any.

Alternatively, do use the installer, but don't point it to your D2X-XL folder, or don't use D2X-XL content anyway, which cause the mess in the first place. You need to only use original game content of Descent, as described in the README files.
Descent Rangers
Captain of Black Lions squadron

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
I would agree with Hawkins...I'm curious though...all you did was run the installer with the option to grab the data files and you pointed it to your d2x-xl installation? Because by default the installer should ONLY copy the game files it needs and no others. So even if you pointed it to an XL installation, it shouldn't grab the XL files...

So yeah...basically what exactly did you do? And also out of curiosity where are your original game files coming from? GOG, original disk, online download?

...If you wanna get Rebirth running as soon as possible, just download the zip file and read the README.txt inside it. However if you could help me figure out if this is actually a bug in the installer that would be great! Smile
Basically it's as easy as it can be:
1) extract the D2X archive
2) Copy the game content as specified in the README to the D2X directory

Quote:OK You said "If you need any more help feel free to ask..".  I have D2X working but I do have some problems with it. The  gold power-up areas for for the default gun don't work. I can't get any new downloaded missions to work. The default cockpit I used to be so fond of doesn't work. I'm afraid I made a mess of things, although it does work.

Please specify exactly what your problems are. But some hints:

1) New missions you can easily add to the game by adding the mission (RL2 and HOG file) to a "missions" subdirectory in your D2X installation.
2) "The  gold power-up areas" ... what exactly do you mean by that? The neergy centers recharging your weapons? They charge as soon as your energy falls below 100.
3) The cokcpit you can change/toggle by pressing F3. You have a cockpit view, Statusbar and a Full screen view.

The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!