[bzr] Light shines through doors
Don't know if it's necessary anymore, but I found a simple way to reproduce this:

1. start D2
2. select level of your choice
3. look for a nice door in a dark place (good are secret doors)
4. put a marker behind the door
5. fly to the other side and watch the glowing effect.
Optimisten sind Pessimisten, die nicht alle Fakten kennen.
Quote:Don't know if it's necessary anymore ...

Yeah, I figured it out--as zico said, the light is simply much less obvious in DOSBox. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
I've noticed this, and I thought it was a bug with Rebirth. Apparently not so.
However, I think this "effect" is particularly striking since you have coded in coloured lightning.
I personally find it a bit confusing (as I use light to identify proximity to other players).

In my opinion, it's a bug from the original Descent, that was never fixed and which has become far more glaring because of your impressive coloured lightning code.
I might be in the minority here, but if it's fixable, I say go for it! Smile
Skafsgaard\'s signature: Struggle Saga \"S\"

Slimy syndicate subordinate super-supporter. She submissively, still supposing, sadly slew Schengen - summa summarum; some slight shit susceptibility slip so screwed sensibility sinfully.
As zico allready said: The lightning code never was realistic. You can easily see the effect of the "light-around-corners" if you put a marker near the hostage door in D2 lvl1 and look at the other side. You'll see the green light at the bottom and top walls. Wink
Optimisten sind Pessimisten, die nicht alle Fakten kennen.
Quote:As zico allready said: The lightning code never was realistic. You can easily see the effect of the "light-around-corners" if you put a marker near the hostage door in D2 lvl1 and look at the other side. You'll see the green light at the bottom and top walls. Wink

Slimy light! Big Grin (off-topic)
Descent Rangers
Captain of Black Lions squadron

The Stalker 21.126
Zica Laser
Guided Micro Bombs
Microcorp HXS Class C
Gravitron PulseWave
Zica SuperCharger
Yeah, I see what you mean tryone.
However, my point is not so much for realism, but rather that having light sources you can't see is (for me at least) rather confusing.
Skafsgaard\'s signature: Struggle Saga \"S\"

Slimy syndicate subordinate super-supporter. She submissively, still supposing, sadly slew Schengen - summa summarum; some slight shit susceptibility slip so screwed sensibility sinfully.
Well it's the point of "can we SEE the light from position XYZ?" This isn't checked from the code and causes the light go "around corners" as well as making them shine right through doors.

The game code already contains code which can be able to perform almost realistic visibility check for light sources which can prevent light from going through doors (it can STILL affect the opposite side of the door the light is on, but not shine further - that's why I said *almost*) go "around corners". PARALLAX included this code in Descent 2 already but it never reached the release.
Point being that it's just too performance hungry and the implemented chaching function to reduce the performance needs does not work properly. Also as the whole lighting bases on Vertex-lighting, it does not prevent light from affecting joining sides of 2-dimensional walls such as doors. So the actual problem described here stays. And before I release any "more reaslistic" light code I want to cover this issue as well.

Of course today we could work without the caching and just swallow the additional CPU-cycles but it might influence embedded systems or very low-end systems (< 500Mhz) significantly. So I am probably going to include this code but not until I heavily optimized it.

Still it's probabyl too early to say too much about this. If I can add more realisitc light code without high demands that's fine. But if it triples the requirements of DXX-Rebirth just to prevent light from going through 2-dimensional planes then that's an issue I'll live with to assure low demands on low-end systems.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
From what I remember (and has been confirmed) this effect has always been there. And I always considered it to be just that, an effect, rather than a bug. It may not be intended but I think it actually adds realism. A heavy force hammering at a door will cause dents and cracks, to an extent at which light can get through.
So I vote for leaving it as it is.
Well if no one would care too much about doors I'd have a solution that would not take THAT much additional performance but could very well improve the lighting.

Like this before/after shot shows:
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/tmp/comp.png

As you can see there the energy powerups from the room below lights up the whole tunnel. In the bottom screenshot it does not. In this case the lighting works with visibility checks. So the light cannot do "U-Turns" or spread through solid walls. Problem being simple 2D-walls like doors. The edge points used for visibility are the same on both sides or the door/2D wall.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
The main thing that I've had issues with...and I think zico's above fix would fix it (correct me if I'm wrong) is when other people are shooting in an adjecent room, and I can see the light in the room I'm in.