Zico's development blog
The most unknown factor about time now is:
PhysFS.

Since some hours I try to implement it to D1X but the code differences between both games make it pure pain.
I hope I will be able to get this working because it would be a great feature for all Linux users of D1X.

Other stuff to do is just ... simple. This could be done in 2 or 3 days... but PhysFS is hard. But better now than never.

But I'm sure you will love the new version Smile
It's much cleaner in code and look, faster, not so buggy anymore (it shouldn't have any bugs itself making the game crash or do unwanted things), and will kepp the original DOS feeling even with VERY HIGH resolutions. Wink
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Good to hear about progress. I'm looking forward to the next version, especially since I've been playing Descent lately. I like the sound of scalable cockpits.  Cool
Finally we made our step to get around the PhysFS problem ...
more work comes at hand.

Introduced by the "free resolution" field the old way to store resolutions became obsolete. On the other side D1X never was able to store resolutions.
I corrected that and at least D1X player profiles became "invalid" with v0.4. Now that I modified D2X a bit as well these pilots would do the same.

So it's always good to have a dialog with other developers - telling you if you do shit.
Now I'm gonna reverse these incompabilities and make both games store resolutions in another file (PLX, that D1X already offers).
Will be additional work again, but in the end DXX should be fully compabile to other versions again - speaking of pilot profiles.

stay tunes
zico
The work on the PLX-file support for D2X goes on.  D2X-Rebirth is now able to create and read a PLX file as D1X does.
The code still needs some finetuning (datatypes and memleaks) before goin to SVN, but basically it works.

With the help (and some constructive critic) of the D1X livna developer we were able to wipe out the incompability between D1X-Rebirth and D1X player profiles. All D1X (and of course D2X) pilots should now be compatible again and we shoudn't run  into any problems anymore. Additionally I fixed a bug of mine made it impossible to join IPX games with other DOS versions. (sorry for that, but I can't use IPX so I never noticed it)

If the work goes on that smooth as now I will throw out some betas to some special people (they know if they are in Wink) very soon.

EDIT: Now it's only one memleak Wink
Since my last post here I spent almost all free time finishing the stuff on my TODO list.

And I'm almost done. Some stuff is still a bit unclear, some small thingies need to be done, but if no big bugs run to me the BETA's will be devlivered in a few DAYS.

I'm very happy I can finally see my TODO list is getting smaller and smaller and I think the upcoming version will finally a piece of software all DXX players could be happy with.

stay tuned
zico
Good to hear that. I am really looking forward to that next version Wink
As already described v0.50 is ahead and the first BETA's are already out to some people.

But still there are some boring things to do.
Cleaning up the command line, making some special rules for some features, updating readmes, homepage etc and last but not least fixing bugs the BETA testers will report.

Also I need to put up things on the TODO for the next release...
But still I can say that most important stuff for the game itself is already done.
Sure we still have no internet play for D2X-Rebirth, no Level editors and MP3/OGG playback is still ahead. Not to forget cleaning the code, throwing out "old DOS- and Direct3D-garbage".

But a big rock fell from my heart when I saw the TODO is getting smaller and smaller and the BETA versions were out.

I hope v0.50 will make you happy as it makes me already Wink

stay tuned
zico
The BETA tests run well and I already fixed some stuff the testers reported - THANK YOU!

It's a hot time right now and when I look to the bug section my heart jumps because I finally can move 95% of the ports there to the DONE section.

When I started with DXX over one year ago as a Linux-only project I never saw the chance to get that far in such a short time...
But the work needs to go on... I can already smell v0.50 release Wink
I'm really excited about the upcoming new release!  Keep up the good work!

Thank you!!
zif: Why haven't they fixed that yet :S
Ralathar: Bug report it :p
zif: I'll bug report you
Currently I'm working on the 3rd (closed) BETA of v0.50.

This BETA will most likely go out in approx 20 hours and I'm in a very good mood.

I hope my testers will be satisfied with the results and the stable release will be ahead very soon.

One fact remains: Even if this version was far behind the default release cycle I will allow myself a break after this release...