3.18%
5 3.18%
is a waste of time!
0.64%
1 0.64%
Total 157 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you think about DXX-Rebirth
Ok, thanks! I'll try it out sometime for sure.

As for secret exits and full, "bonus" secret levels - will there be no conflicts in the HOG mission if I try to put both types of secret levels in it? I'm still not quite sure how to assign the a secret level to a particular teleporter, or to a secret exit, but I'm wondering if these two types could get somehow pooled into a single bunch for the game to choose from and therefore require some advanced workarounds.
I'm Xfing from Descent BB.net.

D1,5 in progress. Drop by here to find out more.
Currently, there's no support for explicitly requesting D1-style secret levels in D2, so there's no conflict. The straightforward approach that I had planned was to have a campaign-level switch, which would mean that you can't have both types in one campaign. However, I expect that even without the proposed code change, you could mostly fake a secret exit by placing it behind a reactor-triggered door. If I recall correctly, using a secret level teleporter during the reactor countdown works much like using a D1-style secret exit. Currently, D2-style secret teleporters are hard disabled in multiplayer, so this workaround would only be viable for single player.
(11-15-2017, 05:36 AM)Kp Wrote: Currently, there's no support for explicitly requesting D1-style secret levels in D2, so there's no conflict.  The straightforward approach that I had planned was to have a campaign-level switch, which would mean that you can't have both types in one campaign.  However, I expect that even without the proposed code change, you could mostly fake a secret exit by placing it behind a reactor-triggered door.  If I recall correctly, using a secret level teleporter during the reactor countdown works much like using a D1-style secret exit.  Currently, D2-style secret teleporters are hard disabled in multiplayer, so this workaround would only be viable for single player.

Yeah, but there would still be the issue of going back to the original level when you die, because that's how secret levels work in D2. The distinction between a secret exit and a teleporter should only serve to differentiate the type of secret level they take you to IMO. If it looks like a secret exit, but is in fact a teleporter, the secret level it takes you to still acts like a D2 secret level. 

It would be optimal to be able to incorporate both types of secret levels at will, but I do realize it might involve plenty of work Tongue

It's been a while since I checked this, but my recollection is that if you escape to a secret level while the countdown is running in the main level, you can't go back to the main level. Hence, if you put the secret level teleporter behind a reactor-triggered door, you guarantee that the player won't use it until after the countdown is running, so you guarantee that the player must advance to the next regular level.
(11-16-2017, 03:34 AM)Kp Wrote: It's been a while since I checked this, but my recollection is that if you escape to a secret level while the countdown is running in the main level, you can't go back to the main level.  Hence, if you put the secret level teleporter behind a reactor-triggered door, you guarantee that the player won't use it until after the countdown is running, so you guarantee that the player must advance to the next regular level.

That's correct. But still, if you die once in the secret level, you still get sent to the next one, unlike D1 secret levels, which you can attempt as many times as necessary, just like any regular level.

Another idea: do you think it would be possible to implement DXAs restricted to single missions? Say, the DXA only applies if it's got the same name as the HOG you're playing, instead of globally. Maybe these files could have a different extension like say, RMA (Rebirth Mission Addon).

Doesn't that already work? If I recall correctly, when a mission is shipped as a HOG+MSN / HOG+MN2, the game maps the HOG as an overlay on the PHYSFS virtual filesystem, so any files opened after that should respect overrides in the HOG, if the name in the HOG matches the file you're trying to replace. Please post a separate thread (and link here) describing exactly what you tried that did not work with the current code.
(11-26-2017, 08:18 PM)Kp Wrote: Doesn't that already work?  If I recall correctly, when a mission is shipped as a HOG+MSN / HOG+MN2, the game maps the HOG as an overlay on the PHYSFS virtual filesystem, so any files opened after that should respect overrides in the HOG, if the name in the HOG matches the file you're trying to replace.  Please post a separate thread (and link here) describing exactly what you tried that did not work with the current code.

No need for a separate thread, I'll just ask you right here and now if it would work. What if you made a DXA containing a whole new Descent2.HAM, Descent2.S11 and Descent2.S22, as well as a soundtrack? Would these files load only with say, descentx.hog if the DXA was also called descentx?

Another question. A couple guys from descentbb, myself included, have been looking at things changed in the engine in the transition from descent 1 to 2. Some of these things can be adjusted in descent2.ham, but some (such as the d1 boss robot AI you restored) cannot. One of these things appears to be the homing missile acquisition cone, which - according to the research of one Alexander Borisov from descentbb - was 40 degrees in D1, and is only 20 degrees in D2. Since you're working on codebase integration, will there be room for altering stats like this? The new beta does advertise a supposed return to "D1 homer mechanics", but this is one of them and I don't think it's been changed.

If this is planned to be addressed, will it be made toggleable in the client? It would really be fun to have such options. Descent 2 has made gameplay harder in many ways, but there were also ways to make it easier, such as this one.

Rebirth kept Descent 1 &2 Alive and yaaas I have gotten back in playing D2X Rebirth again.
Mainly introducing & teaching my Primal Carnage Extinction buddies how to play descent and with Shakers just for that extra BANG!
We mainly play the maps my friend Gengi made lal xD

Rebirth Rocks obviously, it's great for science testing and shooting science test subjects!

Kill the Succubus! :'D xD
3dfx Graphics Accelerators ... So Powerful, It's Kind of Ridiculous.