I'm writing Yet Another HAM Editor For Descent II. aaa
Are you gonna add a current & other segment feature like DMB/DLE?
selection is still in its infancy, so I'm not fully sure yet. Currently, you can select vertices, and I'm working on code to both allow selecting faces explicitly and implicitly (there probably will be selection mode changes like Overload's editor). My thought with regards to the curseg/otherseg system is that the things you would do with it would mostly be replicated by selecting two faces, with the first one selected considered the "master" when important. like if you wanted to make a curved corridor between two faces, you'd select the two faces and do the corridor builder thing. (since there's no guarantee that cubes are aligned right, it will still be possible to pick a "base vertex" for rotation purposes.) If you just wanted to join two faces, you could select the two and push J or something, and they'll try to join at the geometric midpoint, so long as they're compatible for joining.

So far, things are going for a bit of a slant in the direction of DEVIL and Overload's editor, since I'm much more familiar with them than DLE, which I find very odd to work with.
so I've been silent on the editor front since I've been trying to figure out some way to do general purpose texture projection, but I haven't been able to come up with anything. Devil, DLE-XP, and Parallax's own editors are all able to do it, but their approaches seem relatively limited in some ways. In DLE-XP, if I show the editor toolbar, and push out a face a lot, it updates the UVs automatically, and it does the same with things like scale operations (it didn't seem to handle rotation very well). But on the other hand, if I just grab the current vertex and drag it around, it doesn't automatically update the UVs. With my editor focusing heavily around those kinds of operations, this puts me in a pinch since I need to be able to take any weird input and still create a sane output no matter how you drag the vertices. it's a really tricky problem, I'm finding, though I may just be lacking literature on the subject.

I'll take a peek at the Devil source and see if it unlocks any clues. I've been taking some peeks at the Descent editor source itself, but it hasn't revealed much and licensing's a bit troubling there. A shame, since it otherwise would be fairly useful, and it's kinda fun to romp through what their own editor was like. I kinda wonder if the original dev of DMB had exposure to it, since there's similarities on how they function.

edit 2: so add another thing to the list of things I don't think I'll ever understand about DLE: if I transform the initial cube, the texture offsets are updated. if I update any additional cubes I add, the textures aren't updated and they just stretch.
But on the bright side, I think I found the right code in DEVIL. it's a mess like everything so I'm just trying to clean it up and understand it.
Quick suggestion - you should add a HMP <-> MIDI converter.
I can take a look into it, I don't really know anything about the HMP or MIDI file formats so it'll be a bit of a learning process though.

That said, though, do none of the big engines support pure MIDI files? that seems a little surprising, but I guess there's no real precedent for it outside of the windows 95 native version of Descent II.
The originals all used HMP format for a licensed sound library; the ports only swapped out the licensed library for a direct MIDI conversion. AFAIK the ports never added raw MIDI support (though apparently Rebirth supports other file types such as MP3 embedded within the hog, so MIDIs might work? Seems like you need to define the soundtrack in dxx-r.sng or something like that though).

Rebirth's MIDI code should have the algorithm for HMP -> MIDI (not sure about the other way around) within its music system; you theoretically should just have to use the inverse algorithm to go from MIDI to HMP.