severe d1x-rebirth demo bug (v0.59.100)
I encountered a "serious" bug with d1x-rebirth
Using Fedora 28 compiled v0.59.100

Demo files originally recorded during 1996 from the original game fails when the hostage door is destroyed
The graphics freeze (music keeps playing) and keyboard is unresponsive

The only way to recover was to SSH to the affected PC and kill the d1x-rebirth process and terminate it at the console

This happens with demos from levels 1 and 6 from the original Descent 1 ***when blowing up the door to the room with the hostages***
Testing in a VM running the original binary is ok.

Steps to reproduce:
Run the original (any version is ok) from 1995 and record a demo from level 1 or 6  (the original demo was Ace skill level)
Go to the room where the hostages are
Blow up the door
Continuing playing for a short time
Stop the demo recording
Playback the demo with d1x-rebirth and it freezes when the hostage door is destroyed

This bug may only be in the Linux version -   I don't have Mac or Windows

The level 6 demo for Descent 1 is from this URL
https://www.scheif.net/Descent/

As you can download the demo from that URL I won't attach any files to this bug report
(11-30-2018, 12:30 PM)_madness Wrote: I encountered a "serious" bug with d1x-rebirth
Using Fedora 28 compiled v0.59.100

Demo files originally recorded during 1996 from the original game fails when the hostage door is destroyed
The graphics freeze (music keeps playing) and keyboard is unresponsive

The only way to recover was to SSH to the affected PC and kill the d1x-rebirth process and terminate it at the console

This happens with demos from levels 1 and 6 from the original Descent 1 ***when blowing up the door to the room with the hostages***
Testing in a VM running the original binary is ok.

Steps to reproduce:
Run the original (any version is ok) from 1995 and record a demo from level 1 or 6  (the original demo was Ace skill level)
Go to the room where the hostages are
Blow up the door
Continuing playing for a short time
Stop the demo recording
Playback the demo with d1x-rebirth and it freezes when the hostage door is destroyed

This bug may only be in the Linux version -   I don't have Mac or Windows

The level 6 demo for Descent 1 is from this URL
https://www.scheif.net/Descent/

As you can download the demo from that URL I won't attach any files to this bug report
Update:

Edit: fantastic to be able to play Descent 1/2 again after a very long time
Already played several hours of Descent 1 and Descent 2 and had a wonderful time with it.

This bug applies to *any demo* on level 1 when you destroy the door to the room with the hostages
I just tried to play a game with d1x-rebirth (Ace skill) on level 1
Went to the hostage door and destroyed it
Demo playback freezes the display / locks up the keyboard
I had to kill the d1x-rebirth process from another PC via SSH to regain control
Please don't use 0.59.100 for anything. It is old and has known issues. Package maintainers should have updated to 0.60.x long ago, or to a recent snapshot of master.

That said, I confirm that the problem impacts current code. The change that seems most likely to explain that break is not in 0.59.100 though. Fixing the problem in the current code allows it to play back a hostage door demo without issue.

Skip exploding walls during demo playback fixes this for me in the master branch. It cannot be cherry-picked back into 0.59.100 because 0.59.100 does not have the reorganization that caused this problem.
(12-01-2018, 02:01 AM)Kp Wrote: Please don't use 0.59.100 for anything.  It is old and has known issues.  Package maintainers should have updated to 0.60.x long ago, or to a recent snapshot of master.

That said, I confirm that the problem impacts current code.  The change that seems most likely to explain that break is not in 0.59.100 though.  Fixing the problem in the current code allows it to play back a hostage door demo without issue.

Skip exploding walls during demo playback fixes this for me in the master branch.  It cannot be cherry-picked back into 0.59.100 because 0.59.100 does not have the reorganization that caused this problem.

Fixed  -   the screen does not freeze up and demo playback is stable.