Descent 2 CD Audio Question
I have the CD audio tracks in .flac format.  How do I put them inside a .dxa file so that Descent 2 plays the CD audio?  Do the .flac files themselves have to follow a specific naming convention? (like Quake 1's CD audio in the sourceport Quakespasm goes in quakespasm/ID1/music/track02.flac, track03.flac, etc.)
With the caveats that I do not use in-game music and have mostly ignored "CD audio" specific code, I think my post is correct.

DXA files are just zip files with a special extension. You don't need to do that here. The game can read the files right out of a directory. DXA files are good when you want to distribute a group of resources together and ensure the recipient installs them in the right layout.

The label "CD audio" is specifically for making the game play audio tracks from an actual CD (or DVD). You don't want that here. You want the game to play audio files from your hard disk. Those files happen to be the original in-game music, but technically they could be anything. I think the feature to do what you want is the much-maligned "Jukebox" mode. If I read the code right, you can point the jukebox to the directory where your files are stored and it will play them from there. If you care about a specific ordering, you could write an m3u file to specify the playlist.
(06-16-2018, 03:57 PM)Kp Wrote: With the caveats that I do not use in-game music and have mostly ignored "CD audio" specific code, I think my post is correct.

DXA files are just zip files with a special extension.  You don't need to do that here.  The game can read the files right out of a directory.  DXA files are good when you want to distribute a group of resources together and ensure the recipient installs them in the right layout.

The label "CD audio" is specifically for making the game play audio tracks from an actual CD (or DVD).  You don't want that here.  You want the game to play audio files from your hard disk.  Those files happen to be the original in-game music, but technically they could be anything.  I think the feature to do what you want is the much-maligned "Jukebox" mode.  If I read the code right, you can point the jukebox to the directory where your files are stored and it will play them from there.  If you care about a specific ordering, you could write an m3u file to specify the playlist.

I was under the impression that if I played them via Jukebox, it would not associate the audio tracks with their specific levels.  Is that correct?
I don't know. I don't use in-game music in any form. I had to spend about ten minutes reading the code just to satisfy myself that my prior post was correct before I submitted it. From that code inspection, I think it makes some attempt to play them in order, but I'm not convinced it will wait for you to reach a given level before starting the music for that level.
(06-16-2018, 03:49 AM)Master O Wrote: I have the CD audio tracks in .flac format.  How do I put them inside a .dxa file so that Descent 2 plays the CD audio?  Do the .flac files themselves have to follow a specific naming convention? (like Quake 1's CD audio in the sourceport Quakespasm goes in quakespasm/ID1/music/track02.flac, track03.flac, etc.)

its a bit too complicated to explain. just download a pre-existing REDBOOK DXA file, all of them are available in HQ OGG format.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3pvad9n...kf4b3tixx9