Zico's development blog 2
haha no wonder things get done so fast lol
Of course, all admins and moderators of all forums are automatically turned into robots.
Duh. That's why they can stay online forever and ever.
Quote:Want to this so we can Descent 3 so you wants to play
Quote:WTF are you wants to try to communicate to do?  :?
So true Sad
Quote:haha no wonder things get done so fast lol
Wanna things get done faster?
There's a "get done everything faster"-button on my website - it's marked DONATE.
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
I'm not saying your not fast and I don't have the money to donate right now.
Take it easy - just being ironical. Wink
Do you accept non-money donations - e.g. food, booze, blood? Big Grin
Gib mir Benzin!
Quote:Do you accept non-money donations - e.g. food, booze, blood? Big Grin

Or maybe "MORE JIGGAWATTS"  Tongue

[EDIT] Oh Zico, by changing your avatar my sentence do not make sense anymore  Shocked
Hey folks,

Long time no report, right? Well, you deserve one.
I'm back on work again.

As we all know the Multiplayer in Descent is a big mess. Especially the fact that some players still want to play together with other versions of the game, makes IPX a very important factor, still. No need to mention, that using IPX today is just a bad idea, it also demands not to introduce something new. In this way it also demands not to have any bugs fixed.

Now implementing a usable, expandable, optimized, well working AND user friendly UDP layer is a very hard task. After living with our current UDP implementation for months I realized we are pretty stuck now - thanks to IPX and all the consequences.
So I now decided, that a clean abstraction of both networking protocols is the best way to get both under one hood. It's not a simple and fast way. It needs much more code (redundancy as well), which makes the program bigger in the end. And it also consumes a lot of time.
That is why of course the next release is pushed back a bit. And we all know what it means in *my* development cycle. So we'll talk again next year. Wink

Just kidding, but it still takes some time, still.

However I think the new UDP layer will proove itself by being just *better* than the current one. I just want to tell more about it, but as I haven't even started to write the new code, I would not be even sure if I can realize everythign I have in mind here.

So just be patient and - as always -

Stay tuned,
zico

P.S.
I know this isn't a Desktop thread, but lemme show you what I have to see each day while ripping my a** off for you. Smile
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/blog/zico2/20090411.png
Thanks for the update!  IIRC, the net code is what gave Diedle trouble and a lot of work a few years back when he did XL.  Godd luck, I don't evny your task .... but then again, I don't know how to code. Wink

(thanks Zico!)