Zico's development blog 2
Here we are again guys.

The next version is near completion.
As it's primarily a Bugfix version, there are some small new features in it.

First of all, both D1X-Rebirth and D2X-Rebirth are now able to scale fonts with float values:
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/blog/zico2/d1low_filtoff.jpg

As the fonts are pixilated of course they will also filter if Texture Filtering is enabled:
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/blog/zico2/d1low_filton.jpg
(Note that these D1 Screenshots are made with the D1 lowres fonts, not the HighRes equivalents from the Mac version which can be downloaded here as well)

Additionally we can now make seperate sensitivities for X- (heading, banking, slide-left/right) and Y-movements (pitching, slide-up/down) for both mouse and Joystick:
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/blog/zico2/d1low_cntlxy.jpg

And last but not least I've implemented an on-the fly aspect ratio selection for pre-defined resolutions, while custom values can still be used in any flavor:
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/blog/zico2/d2high_res.jpg

Additionally the new version will provide many fixes concerning FPS-related problems and "FixedStep"-Physics which will allow accurate (accurate for this engine) collisions in even very high FPS. With this, the game now allows 200FPS maximum.

The only important thing left is the UNICODE text reading problems which shown up in 0.54.
Currently I am just looking for players which have this text input problems. If you are one, please PM me.

Stay tuned
zico
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!
Awesome!
Yay for the resolution selection screen Big Grin
zif: Why haven't they fixed that yet :S
Ralathar: Bug report it :p
zif: I'll bug report you
Very nice inventions. Thumbs up!!! Smile

???h... btw... what is the unicode text reading problem in a few words? Guess I miss something.
The UNICODE problem I am talking about affects all text reading like typing Savegame names, chatting in multiplayer, typing the Jukebox path, etc.
For some players - it seems - some characters will randomly drop so text might like like: "my svegae of lvel 4"

I cannot really reproduce this problem so it's hard to fix it actually. That is why I need testers for that problem.

P.S.
I think you would jump now, Sniper: Scaling fonts with float values now means they scale to ALL resolutions. Wink
Cant stop jumping the whole day

JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP... :-D

btw.: Seems Im not affected by this.
NICE! :-D
DESCENT MAX!!!
Version 0.55 is now on it's way. I am only waiting for the last patch of Kreator for some Mac additions.
Smile very good
Hello community,

Yes it has been a long time since my last post in my blog and it's about time.
Since my last release we even had two releases - wow! Okay - one of them was just the Bugfix for the other one, but nevertheless - wow!

However - everytime I get out a release I try to be as careful as possible... which mostly never really works as I always manage to oversee some showstoppers.
This is too bad and not really a good argument for quality.

These circumstances mostly aere the reason why my TODO list never get's really empty. That and some fancy ideas I have in mind that we could give a try until 1.0.

But if we keep the level editors - which I WILL realize some day - out of our view we can almost say:
It's done when it's done - and other than DNF this is soon!

The currently release I am working on will mostly focus on Multiplayer features, design issues and bugs. Besides, why am I doing this again? I cannot remember that I EVER played D1 or 2 in Multiplayer... did I get a donation for that? No...
Uhm - back to topic.

Yeah 0.56 will be focussed on especially this part of the game. Of course there will be other topics as well like my new rendering order I recently implemented to reduce the amount of graphical errors when using transparent objects like powerups and partially transparent walls (fans, grills, etc.).
Yes, these things will always have priority: If the game itself does not work, it makes no sense to implement Multiplayer features for it. I only have a few principles, but I - at least - stick to it.
On the other side - you might notice - work on the Multiplayer means, that in reverse the Singleplayer and the Engine itself is pretty 'done' by now?

Well, basically to the viewers eye I an agree with that. We STILL have much work behind the visible part of the game and I would be damned if we will never introduce some general changes, but in the big picture: Yes, the Singleplayer is done.
But I can assure you, that we still plan so many stuff on the engine itself, which might never be noticed visually, so we are still busy for the next three years. But this does not mean, we cannot focus on the Multiplayer now.

If you now feel like: "Hey, if it's done, why do I have Singleplayer/General bugs?"
If you have such a question - remember - I said "in the big picture". Also you should ask yourself: "Is my bug already in the Bug section of the forum?" If no, then I am not aware of it!

You also might say now: "Oh *swear* zico - get to the point, what do you do on the Multiplayer?"

Well basically I am not trying to hunt down 99% of the known Multiplayer bugs by implementing somethign the engine should NEVER have been published without: A Packet-Loss prevention.

I admit my approach won't be the most efficient one, but as we still have backwards compability, it's the most easy one to implement. Basically the Packet-Loss prevention will also only assure the "most important packets" like shot-down, scored, opened-door, trigger, fire, and such. Actual moving packets won't be resent specifically as "movement" is *always* a part of any Netgame packet - no matter if original or resended one.

The code for this feature is now complete up to 99% and is tested at the moment.

I'll report back if I have more for you. Smile

Stay tuned,
zico
Dont blame yourself to be lame.
As I remember the first windows-version you gave me to have a look on it was a 0.0x (?) and in my eyes the 0.42 was the first one that works good enough to have fun with it.

Its true, every new version add one or a few new bugs, but it also solve nearly all bugs from its precedessor.

Having a look at the long series of versions I have seen I must say that over all we are getting better from version to version. Smile