DXX-Rebirth Forum
[D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - Printable Version

+- DXX-Rebirth Forum (https://forum.dxx-rebirth.com)
+-- Forum: DXX-Rebirth (https://forum.dxx-rebirth.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Bugs (https://forum.dxx-rebirth.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. (/showthread.php?tid=663)

Pages: 1 2 3

[D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - Skyler - 03-03-2014

Hey guys.  Pretty new to this rebirth thing, but I flew with some of the best Material Defenders well over 20 years ago.  Wow, was it really that long ago?

When opening doors of any kind (plain doors, key doors, secret doors, etc.), my game stutters briefly during the entire door animation.  It's not a game-killer, but the stutter does mess with my trajectory when controlling with my joystick.

Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Machine name: SKYLER-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/27/12 16:50:21 Ver: 11.06
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8144MB RAM
Page File: 4611MB used, 4002MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 660
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11C0&SUBSYS_84221043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4038 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1989 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.3221 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3221

Running with the following D2X options enabled:

Everything at maximum except for gamma and the FPS counter.

Re: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - Skyler - 03-03-2014

After messing with a combination of filtering/multisampling/vsync settings, it seems to to be the Vsync that's causing the issue.

A combination of none or bilinear filtering + vysync causes no stutter.  Any setting higher than bilinear with vsync enabled causes the stutter.  When I play without vsync and keep it on anisotropic, it plays just fine.

Re: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - Kp - 03-04-2014

Ordinarily I would not respond with an unhelpful remark, but since you already solved this:
(03-03-2014, 08:22 PM)Skyler link Wrote: Hey guys.  Pretty new to this rebirth thing, but I flew with some of the best Material Defenders well over 20 years ago.  Wow, was it really that long ago?
Wikipedia says no:
Quote:Descent is a 3D first-person shooter video game developed by Parallax Software and released by Interplay on March 17, 1995.
Maybe next year you can say that. Wink

Re: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - Tarvis - 03-04-2014

I've been noticing this too. I think Multisampling also causes it. Strangely it seems to happen on Descent 2 more than Descent 1 for me. Maybe it has to do with the high-res hud somehow?

Either way, with Vsync and that off, it acts normally. I'll mess around more to find out for sure.

Re: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - aqqman - 03-04-2014

I had the same thing a while ago. Vsync ON seemed to cap fps to 60, no matter what setting I've tried to force (with -maxfps switch) and yeah.. door open or flying into another room from narrow corridor caused that thing what you describe.
What I did was forcing certain refresh rate in graphic card driver for opengl fullscreen application (same as desktop) and made sure that my monitor is detected properly by the driver (Catalyst control center settings) - this is strange since windows never used to care as much about monitor type - not as much as linux anyway.
After that vsync ON didn't cap down my fps anymore (200 fps) and no more stuttering either. Actually I don't see any big difference with having vsync on or off since then.
Any other opengl game didn't cause any sort of trouble in this matter on the same PC setup, but I'm glad I have it sorted now. I guess you could also just disable in-game vsync setting and get over it if that works for you.

Re: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - zico - 03-06-2014

It's very odd I gotta admit. I imagine this may be related to the fact that animated textures are not properly cached for OpenGL. But it's beyond me how this affects rather powerful computers. Maybe I am missing something. I will see that at least the caching is getting fixed for the next big release (i.e. the one coming after bugfix).

Anyways in case VSync somehow causing troubles I would recommend rather forcing VSync via graphics card driver. The SDL function I use for VSync is obsolete and I could imagine it's not working properly on all systems.

Re: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - Tarvis - 03-14-2014

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that it isn't just doors, but any animated texture (including explosions, laser hits, etc) however after the first time they run it's fine.

Doors are just where it's the most apparent, for some reason. It stutters exactly in coordination with the door animation (as in, the game framerate seems to drop to the door's framerate). The door will then open fine for a while, but if you leave to further rooms and come back later then that door will be choppy again.

So yeah, it probably definitely is cache/memory related

Re: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - aqqman - 03-15-2014

Just checked forcing vsync on card and I have exactly same issue as Tarvis. Forcing it OFF has same result as not using it in game - smooth 200fps but visually inconsistent as hell - can't find hitboxes (they seem to be totally random) and also sometimes (not very often) other players seem to pass closed doors then the door is opening (after they pass  ;D )

Re: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - Lehm - 03-18-2014

I'm experiencing the same thing on d1.  Each new animated texture I run into briefly makes the game stutter.

I'm running a Geforce 650TI Boost if that helps.

Re: [D2x Win7 64-bit] Opening doors causes the game to briefly stutter. - zico - 03-24-2014

Really gotta check out what's up with that. As I said, the engine could be optimized in many points to make it work more optimized but this should not happen with normal sized textures and all even with all the effects the game offers. Thanks for all your Feedback. I'll see that I get this gets done as soon as I can.

(that is as soon as we can actually continue to work on the engine and I wished I could say more about but I can't which is really getting on my fucking nerves at the moment)