DXX-Rebirth Forum

Full Version: [0.57.3] [Solved!] Savegame lockups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I downloaded d2x-rebirth a while ago and really liked it, but there was a major problem during the saving process. Occasionally, and for no apparent reason that I could see, the screen would lock up when the save menu was opened. It was impossible to click on a save slot, do anything with the arrow keys, or even exit the game - I had to restart the computer to fix it. Does anyone know the cause of this bug, and if it can be fixed? Is it local, on my computer only (Windows XP Home) Or do I just have to get 0.58.1?
If the entire computer hangs, that is a kernel bug.  No user program can ever hang the entire computer if the kernel is functioning properly.

I have not heard of this problem before.  I do not know of any changes in 0.58.1 that would resolve this, but I suggest running 0.58.1 on principle.  It has many other important bug fixes.
Actually it does happen to me sometimes on my laptop, but - it is not the entire kernel hangs up but video. Screen doesn't change during 'hangup', but I can still do things like behind the scenes without seeing any effect on the screen... only solution is hard reset though. It doesn't happen in window mode - fullscreen only.
On PC enabled vpu recovery driver function (ATI) prevented that from happening (wild guess).
Yes aqqman, those are the symptoms I am experiencing - the computer itself does not lock up (although ending DXX-Rebirth starts a fatal memory leak). I got Rebirth v. 0.58.1, but things still didn't work out - see http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/frm/index.php...777.0.html
I would say - If your current PC specification is the one described in that thread - you definitely need an upgrade, or you can try disabling all extra graphic features in options.
Well the whole program runs very smoothly with all effects turned on, there's no lag or rendering errors... I don't think it's the processor or RAM that's causing the problem.
Ok, so let me put it this way - your CPU and RAM is far more than rebirth needs but in order to run rebirth you need working operating system - windows, which needs some resources.
I used duron 850MHz with 768MB of ram in the past - rebirth worked on it quite well under Windows 2000 PRO tweaked for maximum performance, but I couldn't stand it after I switched to winXP.
I hope that explains what I meant earlier.

Now I'm on AMD64 1,8 GHz and I'm still getting lockups sometimes - not too often to be concerned, and nothing is wrong with that I guess since other games (more recent ones) are smooth.
(11-11-2013, 04:10 PM)MaestroMD link Wrote:Yes aqqman, those are the symptoms I am experiencing - the computer itself does not lock up (although ending DXX-Rebirth starts a fatal memory leak). I got Rebirth v. 0.58.1, but things still didn't work out - see http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/frm/index.php...777.0.html
What leaks memory?  If you killed Rebirth using the task manager, then it cannot leak memory since it no longer exists.  If you are using a buggy kernel module that leaks, you need to get a fixed version or find a way not to provoke the leak.  We might be able to modify the Rebirth code to avoid triggering driver bugs if we knew exactly what caused it, but fixing the bug seems like a much better approach.
Kp - what I mean is, when rebirth is killed by Task Manager, it does not properly release its memory. So, less memory is available to the system, and running (and killing, after hangs) rebirth several times results in very little memory being available to the system.
Not quite... but memory management in winxp sucks plus most of it resides on your HDD since 768M is not a lot for that OS.
Pages: 1 2